Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Circuit breaker ratings  (Read 431 times)
Pottstown, PA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello All. I am working on a solar tracker using an automotive window regulator. I am using a current monitor in the system but as a last line of protection I plan on using a push-to-reset circuit breaker. I have one temporarily installed that's rated at 15A, 250vac. At a locked rotor current of 18.5 A, the circuit breaker doesn't trip. Must the breaker be rated for dc, 15A to function properly? Does it need to be rated at 12VDC? - Scotty

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I think you want a DC rated breaker.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Circuit breakers generally have an inverse-time characteristic.   For fast response (<1 second) you are typically looking at an overload of 5 to 10 times rating.

Your current of 1.8 times rating will typically take around 30 to 60 seconds for the trip to effect.

The type B breaker has the fastest trip characteristic but is still generally 2 to 3 times rating.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Breakers are rated by the current they carry reliably with no chance of breaking, so a 15A
breaker will usually carry 20A indefinitely (but might eventually trip), for instance.  They are
to prevent short circuits melting the wiring, that's their main purpose, just like a fuse.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pottstown, PA
View Profile

Thanks for the replies. As it turns out, a 2A circuit breaker worked well, tripping in about a second after inducing locked rotor. - Scotty

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: