Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Leonardo Bootloader Compiles but Cannot Start  (Read 343 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi. I've been trying to compile the Leonardo (Caterina) bootloader from scratch for a couple days, but I still have one issue.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. After burning my freshly compiled bootloader, I plug in my Leonardo board, it is recognized as "Arduino Leonardo bootloader (COMx). But, the device status is "The device cannot start (Code 10)". This means that I can't upload a sketch using the Arduino IDE.

What I did:
I grabbed the Arduino code from Github, and I'm using the master branch.
I downloaded LUFA (111009), and pointed the Caterina makefile to its folder.
I uncommented the standard Arduino VID and Leonardo PID in the makefile, just for testing.
I use the same lock and fuse bits as described in the boards.txt for the Leonardo.

I tried to compile the Blink sketch, and upload the generated .hex file to the flash without erasing my bootloader. I can see that the LED pulses indicating that the bootloader starts, and then blinks, showing that the sketch also runs. But I still have the same problem, the bootloader shows "The device cannot start (Code 10)", so I can't upload a new sketch from the IDE.

I also tested the pre-compiled Leonardo bootloader, which contains the default Blink sketch, and that works like a charm.

If anyone went through this or has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:24:58 am by bshambles » Logged

View Profile

I'll add a bit more hoping that someone will jump in.

I noticed files that contain the exact versions of the tools and libraries used to generate the pre-compiled Leonardo bootloader found in the GitHub.

Builds against LUFA version 111009
make version 3.81
avrdude version 5.11

All AVR tools except avrdude were installed by CrossPack 20100115:
avr-gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC)
Thread model: single
Configured with: ../configure —prefix=/usr/local/CrossPack-AVR-20100115 —disable-dependency-tracking —disable-nls —disable-werror —target=avr —enable-languages=c,c++ —disable-nls —disable-libssp —with-dwarf2
avr-libc version 1.6.7
binutils version 2.19

Some of the versions I was using did not match so I made some changes to use every exact version. On Windows, this led to a problem with avr-gcc 4.3.3, which compiles the bootloader to 4104 bytes, which doesn't fit.

I update avr-gcc to the latest AVR Toolchain, which produces a bootloader that fits, but still show the same error: "The device cannot start (Code 10)", in my Device Manager.

Anyone?

View Profile

After hours of trying different things. The problem was with LUFA.
Make sure you get the LUFA-111009 release from Google Code NOT from GitHub. I'm not sure what the different is between the two, but they are not the same.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: