Go Down

Topic: Need a few pointers for personal alarm system (Read 898 times) previous topic - next topic

niamheile

Oct 07, 2013, 12:23 am Last Edit: Oct 08, 2013, 02:40 pm by niamheile Reason: 1
Hello

I went to an event last week and experimented with the Arduino for the first time. I planned to slowly make progress through following projects other people have successed with. However, this morning a friend with MS fell out of bed when I was staying over and I hearing the calls for help got their partner to help them back into bed. My thinking is that some sensors on a floor mat sending signals to a table lamp in another room to go and off a few times would be useful. OK sending a text message would be good but I expect that is too advanced.

If you can point me in the direction of resources that would give me instructions on a fairly simple solution that would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

robtillaart

not really a starter project, especially the TEXT message is not trivial.
Best advice I can give is to go first through the tutorial section to familiarize yourself with the Arduino and what can be done with it and how. (takes a week or two at most).

Then you should break up the project in smaller steps.

1) investigate what sensors there exist to detect the person falling out of bed.
- detectors on the floor (think e.g. burglar detection, or IR movement detection )
- or detectors in bed (weight does disappear)
- probably you need a RealTime Clock (RTC) to see at what time it happens. SOmeone leaving the bed at 04:00 is different tha at 08:00
(and of course how to connect these to Arduino! .

Then you need to learn something about communication (wireless I think) to sent an event to another Arduino  that will inform another person.

When you have more concrete questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Go Up

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name:
Email:

shortcuts: alt+s submit/post or alt+p preview