Go Down

Topic: Need a few pointers for personal alarm system (Read 927 times) previous topic - next topic

Oct 07, 2013, 12:23 am Last Edit: Oct 08, 2013, 02:40 pm by niamheile Reason: 1
Hello

I went to an event last week and experimented with the Arduino for the first time. I planned to slowly make progress through following projects other people have successed with. However, this morning a friend with MS fell out of bed when I was staying over and I hearing the calls for help got their partner to help them back into bed. My thinking is that some sensors on a floor mat sending signals to a table lamp in another room to go and off a few times would be useful. OK sending a text message would be good but I expect that is too advanced.

If you can point me in the direction of resources that would give me instructions on a fairly simple solution that would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

robtillaart

not really a starter project, especially the TEXT message is not trivial.
Best advice I can give is to go first through the tutorial section to familiarize yourself with the Arduino and what can be done with it and how. (takes a week or two at most).

Then you should break up the project in smaller steps.

1) investigate what sensors there exist to detect the person falling out of bed.
- detectors on the floor (think e.g. burglar detection, or IR movement detection )
- or detectors in bed (weight does disappear)
- probably you need a RealTime Clock (RTC) to see at what time it happens. SOmeone leaving the bed at 04:00 is different tha at 08:00
(and of course how to connect these to Arduino! .

Then you need to learn something about communication (wireless I think) to sent an event to another Arduino  that will inform another person.

When you have more concrete questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy