Go Down

Topic: display not changing contrast dramatically depending on what is displayed (Read 588 times) previous topic - next topic

I am using https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9052 on an Arduino Uno, IDE 1.0.5 on Windows7.
When I try to write to the display, a string ending in punctuation will not work (LCD goes blank), but the same string without punctuation at the end works. Even if I just use another letter at the end, it works, and if I use a ":" it does not.
Luckily I can just exclude punctuation in this case, but this seems really strange so I was wondering: has anyone else seen this and has an idea what is going on?
Program is supposed to cycle between displaying "wait for it" and "hit"; when I end either string with punctuation LCD remains blank for that second. I included a line that will work, commented out, and one that does not.
Here is the code:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);
void setup() {
 lcd.begin(16, 2);
}
void loop() {
  lcd.clear();  
 //lcd.print("wait for it"); // works
 lcd.print("wait for it."); //doesn't work  
 delay(1000);  
 lcd.clear();
 lcd.print("hit");
 delay(1000);
}

Update: it turns out the display isn't staying blank, but instead the contrast changes so dramatically between the "hit" and the "wait for it" that it looks like blank unless I up the contrast to the point where the "hit" is almost unreadable. What would cause that?

The power for both the backlight and the controller are connected to 3.3V. I am not sure what you mean by "rail", though...

Go Up