Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: DS1302 RTC problems  (Read 589 times)
Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

so it seems that the ds1302 and ds1307 are both fault ridden , is there any other rtc that is reliable ?

What do you mean, fault ridden? Are you saying it has a gradual error? Well you get what you pay for, you can get clock chips that are temperature compensated.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/255

London
Tesla Member
Have fun!
View Profile

so it seems that the ds1302 and ds1307 are both fault ridden , is there any other rtc that is reliable ?

I tested a bunch of DS1307 chips for many weeks back when the time library was created and never saw a fault.  If you haven’t already,  try one on well-made breakout board before ruling out this chip.

---
Mod – It looks like this RTC discussion is hardware related rather than anything directly to do with the time library. I think the posters issues would be apparent using any test harness for the RTC chips. If there is further discussion on RTC chips, it may be better to put this back in its own thread and add a link here to that, to keep this thread  focused on the Time library .

Michael Margolis

Leicester UK
Half intelligent old fart.....
View Profile

Hi,
     I've used a few DS1307's and found them to be just fine. A CR2032 or even a tiny CR1225 keeps the time going during power down, etc. There is a DS32kHz IC/Module this is a temperture compensated OSC, running at 32.768Khz and can be used to replace the 32.768Khz crystal and give high accuracy, but this too needs battery backup. Maxim now own Dallas, who first produced these IC's.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Mel.

Open your mind! But not too far, your brains might fall out.
Also like Photography, model building and my 300+ Cacti and Succs.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: