Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Final Year Project - control 10 aircons with Arduino  (Read 1293 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

thank you all for the suggestions, i am still going through them

@PeterH & @CrossRoads for proposing the use of a Mega.
referring to (http://www.righto.com/2009/08/multi-protocol-infrared-remote-library.html)
Ken Shirriff: "My code won't work with an Arduino mega as it has a different processor and the pins are all different. (Sorry I didn't mention that in my original article.)"

However if sending IR with pin9 of Mega was/is possible, would it make sense to
1) have pin9 connected to multiple IR LED Anodes/+ve legs and
2)the Cathodes/-ve legs of the IR LEDs connected to their own individual digital pin, and control each individual IR LED by switching the corresponding pin "HIGH" or "LOW".?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

https://github.com/shirriff/Arduino-IRremote/blob/master/IRremoteInt.h

* Modified by Paul Stoffregen <paul@pjrc.com> to support other boards and timers
1) have pin9 connected to multiple IR LED Anodes/+ve legs and
2)the Cathodes/-ve legs of the IR LEDs connected to their own individual digital pin, and control each individual IR LED by switching the corresponding pin "HIGH" or "LOW".?
This would add quite a capacitive load to the driving pin as you are having the IR LEDs also connected via long wires.
I would use an external driver to drive the ganged up anodes.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

thanks for the help. i have now successfully tested the IR over 30Meters cat5 cable and it works OK, for now.  before i start with final installation i need to pick up motion(high) and no motion(low) with ardiono using PIR motion detector (with 7 terminals not 3).
(http://www.thecrowgroup.com/Products_Systems/swan_quad/swan_quad/)

when using multi-meter and motion is detected (LED on motion detector goes on) i measure Open Cct (infinite resistance) on the 2 "RELAY" terminals & measure approx 40 Ohm when no motion is detected (LED on motion detector goes off) on 2 RELAY terminals.

does anyone know how can i use this Open Cct /40 Ohm to easily pick up (differentiate) high/ low on adrino digital input?

PS: detector has the following 7 terminals and i use external power (9V):
1) "-V"; 2) "+V"; 3&4) "two x TAMP";  5) "EOL"; 6&7) "two x RELAY".

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

does anyone know how can i use this Open Cct /40 Ohm to easily pick up (differentiate) high/ low on adrino digital input?

Yes, you would connect the two terminals to ground and an Arduino input, and in the program set the internal pull-up.

Then monitor the input to see whether the relay was open (logic high) or closed (logic low).

View Profile

hi all who contributed,
thanks for all the replies as i could not have done it without you guys.
managed to get my degree (finally).
regards,

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: