Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: How can I measure AC voltage in the range 0-250 VA  (Read 9003 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

How can I use the Arduino to measure a variable AC voltage? The range would be 0-250 VAC.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You probably need to make a circuit to reduce the 0-250vac to 0-5vdc, and probably would be good to incorporate some type of electrical isolation depending on the useage.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Any idea where I can find the circuit that would do the voltage reduction and ac/dc conversion?

Vermont, USA
ElectroMech
View Profile

Is the 250V RMS?

Isolated transformer. Bridge rectifier. Capacitor. Voltage divider for the rest?

Here's my take:

You could use a multi-tap transformer so you can have selectable ranges for better accuracy...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:21:00 pm by prs09210 » Logged

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

DMM with serial interface:

http://www.apogeekits.com/multimeter_dvm345di.htm

Accurate measurement, no isolation/safety problems, no hardware development.

--
Check out our new shield: http://www.ruggedcircuits.com/html/gadget_shield.html

SG
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You may use this HCPL-7520 Isolated Linear Sensing IC is designed for current sensing applications

http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2008/cj72_xg37/cj72_xg37/index.html
http://www.avagotech.com/pages/en/optocouplers_plastic/plastic_miniature_isolation_amplifier/hcpl-7520/
http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Amplifier-ICs/Isolation-Amplifiers/_/N-4fs2k?P=1z0yz4q&Keyword=HCPL-7520&FS=True

SE UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Should you be messing with what I'm guessing is mains AC supplies when you have such a limited understanding?

Please be careful...

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Being creative, the schematic for the below multimeter might show some components to able to take an ac voltage and develop a +5v dc output. I haven't checked to see what the operating voltage is internal to the meter (0-3v, 0-5v, etc), but if one is careful and knowledgable, one probably modify the multimeter for adaption to the arduino.  

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks to everyone for their input. This definitely points me in the right direction. While I have very limited experience with the Arduino I do have considerable experience with high voltage AC systems. I regularly work with marine HVAC control panels that use 115-1-60, 230-1-60, 230-3-60, 460-3-60 and 380/415-3-50 power circuits.

Vermont, USA
ElectroMech
View Profile

I don't see where in that hand-drawn schematic an AC voltage would be applied.. Am I missing something?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Your probes would be at COM and V on the lower left side of the drawing

Vermont, USA
ElectroMech
View Profile

Ok.. I see the "AC" point next to "V". I was hoping for some insight as to how it measure AC voltage, but it doesn't look like there is any special circuitry other than a diode and some resistors. Oh well.

SE UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Is it mains you're measuring (experience noted, by the way!), or is it general AC at various frequencies?

If it's just mains (50Hz/60Hz depending where you live I guess) then simply recitfying the output of a step-down transformer as earlier post should be fine (as long as you calibrate the variable resistor etc.).

If it's a huge frequency range you're after then converting to rms becomes more tricky.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Most likely I have not understood the problem...

The straightforward solution is to reduce the voltage to a ADC acceptable range, e.g. +/- 1 V. This can be done by a voltage devider of - say - 2.2M and 10 k and connect it to the ADC. The negative voltage will do no harm, as the current flowing will be < 100uA. You will see the half waves of a sinus  in the ADC. Use any integration algorithm that suits your need to get something you can call RMS...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:26:14 pm by mpeuser » Logged

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Ok.. I see the "AC" point next to "V". I was hoping for some insight as to how it measure AC voltage, but it doesn't look like there is any special circuitry other than a diode and some resistors. Oh well.

I think an interesting point might be that it might be possible to attach an arduino ground to the 7106 chip "common" and the an arduino analog input to the pin 31 input. If the input is always in the 0-5v range to pin 31, then the multimeter possibly could be made into an easy arduino data logging interface.

http://kitsrus.com/pdf/7106.pdf

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: