Go Down

Topic: Need help finding a laptop (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Gang,
I need some help finding a new laptop.
What I have now: Sony Vaio. 15.6" screen. Intel Dual Core T6400 2 GHz. 3 GB RAM. 240 GB hard drive.  Win Vista SP2. 32 Bit operating system.  Nice, standard keyboard, not one of the new chiclet style.  No number pad so the keys/touch pad are more or less centered with the screen. You've probably seen it in pictures with some kind of processer board sitting on it.
Surface wraps around the corners nicely, no sharp edges.

I am looking for something faster now. Intel i7 quadcore processor, 8GB of RAM to go with it.  15.6" screen is fine with me (8.5" x 13"). 1 Terabyte solid state drives I think are becoming the norm.

I had a Samsung that I thought was gonna do the trick, but I took it back. I really tried to like it, but it had flaws.
The 15.6" screen was actually less high.  The edges were 2 pieces, and had a sharp inner edge that grated on the forearms. The keypad had a number pad on the right, so the keys were really off center when being used.  And the keypad- one of the chiclet models.  I tried if for 5 days and gave up.  The keys had no feel, they were off center, ended up using the backspace key more than any other.
(No DVD drive either, external needed to listen to CDs, watch DVDs, install older software).

Back to Best Buy, looked over every i7 model they had, Not One Good Keyboard!  Apparently the new style is the chiclet keyboard so the keys can be backlit.

So: who's seen a good i7 laptop with a decent keyboard? Sony.com is only showing chiclet style now.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

pico

I went through something similar recently --just couldn't identify anything I liked in a price range I could justify. So I bought a not-too-old second hand business class laptop from one of those places that deals in ex-lease machines. No OS, so I save a bit of money of there. Having to pay pay for Windows 8 (even indirectly) would just add insult to the injury!
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

wizdum

Lenovo. Hands down best laptop keyboards on the market. I have one of their Y500 series laptops. Core i7, 8gb of ram, 64gb SSD/1TB HDD, Nvidia 555m GPU, blu-ray reader/writer combo. It also has really nice power management software that throttles down the CPU and disables the GPU when you don't need it. I get roughly 6 hours of battery life while taking notes (after a one year break in period), yet I can still play the newest video games on it, run multiple VMs, do image and video processing, etc.

And just in case you didn't know, Lenovo is the arm of IBM that used to make Thinkpads. They split off from IBM a while ago.
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

pico

And just in case you didn't know, Lenovo is the arm of IBM that used to make Thinkpads. They split off from IBM a while ago.

And now Chinese owned, in fact.
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

westfw

1 Terabyte solid state drives I think are becoming the norm.

If you don't mind spending $600 for the drive :-)

"chicklet" keyboards seem to vary quite a bit; I was really worried when my Mac arrived with such a keyboard, some years back, but I got used to it pretty quickly and I think it's one of my favorite keyboards...  It doesn't really seem to have less key travel than the average laptop keyboard, and the keys are a bit further apart, which I seem to like.

Go Up