Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Jeri Ellsworth Kickstarter project about 90% funded after 24 hours.  (Read 742 times)
Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

And 30 days of funding still to go.

The project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/castar-the-most-versatile-ar-and-vr-system

Explanation of the proposed product:

She seems touchy in this vid like she is worried it would not get funded.  This is going to end up being funded at least several times the initial goal.  I hope she priced everything appropriately.

What do all the resident experts think of her plan here?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:29:48 pm by JoeN » Logged

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

She already has $356,733 pledged, out of a $400,000 goal, with 30 days to go (out of 31). So yes, I think they will easily get there. smiley

That is one smart woman.

As for the plan, it sounds like virtual reality is finally going to arrive. It's been a long time coming. With suitable software you might get something like the Star Trek holodeck experience.

From: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/castar-the-most-versatile-ar-and-vr-system

The first prototype Jeri created was called the "head crab" due to its large size and the pain that wearing the heavy model caused.

In the video I thought she said "head crap". The captions translated it as "head craft".

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

No patience to watch it all. Or much interest in game play.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Just think, Bob, you could have virtual-reality fencing!

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

It certainly could have professional applications far beyond gaming.  It really looks like she is on the right track with this design.  But, there are a huge number of risks here.  As far as the Kickstarter itself goes, developing the system and delivering it will count as a success.  But for true product success it has to get developer support so that the true potential can be delivered.  That's why it's almost always better to have someone like Microsoft deliver a product 50% as good as a brilliant one delivered by some small third-party vendor.  Even if the product by the third-party vendor is incredible, it may never reach critical mass with the software developers.  With a large company supporting a product, "developers developers developers" get a lot more assurance the product will sell well and will be sold and supported a few years down the road.  I think this is her big obstacle.  I hope she finds a big name hardware vendor to partner with at some point.

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Virtual fencing - not anywhere near as satisfying as the real thing.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Edison Member
View Profile

It's neat... so are the google glasses.

The closest we've come is Augmented Reality, where the overlay is on your phone or tv screen, this gives a whole new experience, I like it, but then I like the google glasses.

But.

1. I don't think we're there in terms of hardware yet.
2. The price.

:Jump to 1 again. I personally believe this technology is best suited for the Army, Air Force, navy, etc... strategical planning  out in the field, perhaps medical and science as well.

For the end user, I don't think so, look at 3D tv lol

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

No one seems to want to comment on how extraordinary it is for a person who is mostly unknown to the world at large to be able to ask for $400,000 in funding and get it in about 24 hours, no banksters involved.  I guess I am wrong in thinking it extraordinary, even though it obviously even shocked Jeri how fast this happened.

Edison Member
View Profile

She's (Jeri) is very well known, just youtube her and view the hit count.

Show Your Work
Edison Member
View Profile

OK.  I looked at the hit count.  Looks like 1,000 to 40,000 per vid, depending.  Super duper impressive.  For comparison....

DEA Agent Shoots Self In Foot (a classic!), 875,000 views
10 Cutest Cat Moments, 17.7 million views
i are cute kitten , 45 million views. smiley
Wrecking Ball, 240 million views
Gangdam Style, 1.8 billion views

I'd say she has a relatively small audience.  And I actually have watched many of her vids myself.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:20:56 am by JoeN » Logged

Edison Member
View Profile

OK.  I looked at the hit count.  Looks like 1,000 to 40,000 per vid, depending.  Super duper impressive.  For comparison....

DEA Agent Shoots Self In Foot (a classic!), 875,000 views
10 Cutest Cat Moments, 17.7 million views
i are cute kitten , 45 million views. smiley
Wrecking Ball, 240 million views
Gangdam Style, 1.8 billion views

I'd say she has a relatively small audience.  And I actually have watched many of her vids myself.

OK, so she gets less views, that's not important or relevant, she's so well known in her industry, ie Electronics, it spreads all the way up the chain fast as proven from hackaday, all the hacker spaces, you can't compare "entertainment" which is all your videos are.

Anyone with the slightest bit of know how in the electronics field will back this project purely because it's her, she's contributed many video's to the public domain to teach and to learn, are you really going to compare  "Gangnam style" to this, in 10 years time that Video will be lucky to get 1/10th the views Jeri pulls in, she's not a superstar, she's just very well known to all who has a keen interest in electronics.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: