Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Thoughts on the Yun  (Read 1721 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Sorry if this isn't considered the right area to post this. While it's about the Yun it's sheerly about opinions, nothing technical. I'm also sure there has to be a thread like this somewhere but I couldn't find it.

In looking at the Yun I think it's a very interesting project. I can see all sorts of "The Internet of Things" possibilities that can be accomplished much more easily with this than on project based just on an ATMEGA328P.  I also like that the Linux end is MIPS based, simply because I've never played with a MIPS processor before.

I guess the only thing I'm struggling with is the price tag. There are other SoC systems out there which is comparing apples and oranges I know, but hear me out... that even with extra components (buying a usb wifi dongle, micro sd card, whatever) that can still accomplish a lot of the same end goals for a decent amount less.

I guess what I'm really interested in is why other people want them. Maybe let's steer away from why people don't though. I'd like to keep it positive, not all flame war like.

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

I bought 2 and I'm really happy.
Why?
I need this functionality for a mobile robot. So I bought a linksys router hacked it with open wrt  and connected my arduino to the router.
To get this to work I had to do a lot of effort. hardware and software. This is not needed with the yun.
There is also the formfactor. Yun is way smaller.
Yun has much more memory, and eprom and a "optional" sd card (in other words your os is not on the sd card)
All this is configured in the typical arduino connect and go way.  smiley-grin

I my part of the world linksysWRT54GL is the same price range as a yun  smiley-eek
As I need a mega I'm currently working on connecting a mega to a yun (without using the leonardo for now) at a similar price tag than the linksys and smaller.
And from what I have seen from the "bridge" functionality the software looks great to.

As to the price
As the yun is the same price range as the  linksysWRT54GL It is a very acceptable price.
I have non arduino boards that are cheaper but functionality/support are not at the same level. (They are so bad I don't even want to support them with my plugin.)
On the other hand Arduino still supports/sells old boards. This is a service other vendors do not do. For me that is a good reason to pay something extra. (which extra smiley-twist ?)

So yes I'm a happy hacker  smiley-grin
Best regards
Jantje
So from my point of view the price tag is good value.

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

God Member
View Profile

If you want 1 or maybe even 2 wireless nodes, the Yun is not too expensive. If you want 10 nodes, you'd better be rich, or think about another approach.

I think the Linux gateway is a powerful idea, but I don't see the need to strap a Linux server onto the back of *every* atmega328p... it makes much more sense to have a bunch of nodes share a single Linux server as a gateway. After all, Linux does multitask very nicely!

So that's the approach my RFXduino gateway system has taken. A central, more powerful Linux server (Raspberry Pi based) shared by a bunch of nodes with afffordable wireless hardware (nRF24L01+ radios). So you can do all the Yun things, and few things besides, for a fraction of the cost (once you get to 2 or more nodes). IoT made affordable... that's the goal of the project, anyway.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:00:07 am by pico » Logged

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Louisiana, USA
View Profile

The Yun is very cool and too expensive, I agree.  Why does adding WiFi to the Arduino have to cost so much? 

God Member
View Profile

The Yun is very cool and too expensive, I agree.  Why does adding WiFi to the Arduino have to cost so much? 

It doesn't. Just read my post above again, and click on the RFXduino gateway system link, and read all about it!

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Louisiana, USA
View Profile

The discussion is about WiFi.  I can definitely envision scenarios where your solution may be ideal, like home automation.   If I were going to market that, it would be as part of home automation components.  Just doesn't look feasible to sell to the hobby market.  Just my opinion though.

God Member
View Profile

The discussion is about WiFi.

Yes, I know. So the RFXduino Linux gateway system allows (for example) an Uno  to create a TCP/IP link over a wireless nRF24L01+ connection. You can implement a web server on the Arduino, send emails, even send Tweets via an SSL connection (which you can't do with a standard WiFI/Ethernet shield.)

So what part of WiFi functionality are you out missing on here? It's actually conceptually very similar the Yun gateway, except you have a central shared Linux server, rather than one strapped to every Arduino. Hence the cost efficiencies!

Put the hardware where you need it, rather than redundantly (and expensively) replicating it.

And that's the point of this thread, yes?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:29:47 am by pico » Logged

Louisiana, USA
View Profile

If you look above, I did mention there are definitely scenarios where your solution might make sense. 

Obviously, the difference in functionality is that an additional gateway is required.  Good luck with your product.

God Member
View Profile

Obviously, the difference in functionality is that an additional gateway is required.
Yes, just as with the Yun (which is the subject of this thread.)

The difference is you pay a for a Linux gateway with *every* Yun you buy, with the RFXduino system you only pay once for a single central one, and then it's loose change to add WiFi connectivity to each Arduino after that.

I *could* propose strapping the equivalent of a Raspberry Pi onto the back every Arduino, but that probably wouldn't work out any cheaper than a Yun, would it? Or conceptually be very different from a Yun, for that matter.
Good luck with your product.
Thanks.  smiley-cool
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:20:29 am by pico » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: