Go Down

Topic: Arduino to PC/Mac running ReaBasic 2010r3 Serial (Read 420 times) previous topic - next topic

kjinx

I'm reading a chain of (6) Dallas 18B20's formatting a 50 byte string like this: D1:76.00D1:76.00D1:76.00D1:76.00D1:76.00D1:76.00<cr> and sending it out with serial.print. No problems on the Arduino side, lines just continuing scroll by in the serial monitor window of the IDE.

What I want to do is capture this string in RealBasic, parse the 6 temperature values out and yada yada yada off I go.

Can't figure for the life of me how to do it. I can do a

Main.TextArea.AppendText Me.ReadAll()  in the DataAvailable section of the Serial Control and sure enough, there are the lines, scrolling by at about 4 per second.

But how do I grab each line so that I can parse out the temperature values in to an 6 element array????

BKnight760

Aug 27, 2010, 08:02 pm Last Edit: Aug 27, 2010, 08:05 pm by BKnight760 Reason: 1
The only thing that indicates a "line" is the carriage return that is printed by Serial.println().

1.  Keep a String and continually add the incoming serial data to it.
2.  Read through the string from the beginning until you find a carriage return.
3.  Copy the substring until the carriage return to a new variable.
4.  Remove the substring from your input string.
5.  Process the individual line (parse using the semicolons)
6.  Loop #1-5

Kind of a pain, but most languages I've worked with don't have a method for reading in a line at a time from the Serial connection.  The idea of a line isn't well defined for serial data.  All it knows is that ASCII 13 means a carriage retun character.  It's all just a big stream of data which happens to have carriage return characters in it.

I suppose if you had access to a tokenizer like Java does, you could parse the incoming serial data a bit more easily.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy