Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino to PC/Mac running ReaBasic 2010r3 Serial  (Read 333 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm reading a chain of (6) Dallas 18B20's formatting a 50 byte string like this: D1:76.00D1:76.00D1:76.00D1:76.00D1:76.00D1:76.00<cr> and sending it out with serial.print. No problems on the Arduino side, lines just continuing scroll by in the serial monitor window of the IDE.

What I want to do is capture this string in RealBasic, parse the 6 temperature values out and yada yada yada off I go.

Can't figure for the life of me how to do it. I can do a

Main.TextArea.AppendText Me.ReadAll()  in the DataAvailable section of the Serial Control and sure enough, there are the lines, scrolling by at about 4 per second.

But how do I grab each line so that I can parse out the temperature values in to an 6 element array????

Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The only thing that indicates a "line" is the carriage return that is printed by Serial.println().

1.  Keep a String and continually add the incoming serial data to it.
2.  Read through the string from the beginning until you find a carriage return.
3.  Copy the substring until the carriage return to a new variable.
4.  Remove the substring from your input string.
5.  Process the individual line (parse using the semicolons)
6.  Loop #1-5

Kind of a pain, but most languages I've worked with don't have a method for reading in a line at a time from the Serial connection.  The idea of a line isn't well defined for serial data.  All it knows is that ASCII 13 means a carriage retun character.  It's all just a big stream of data which happens to have carriage return characters in it.

I suppose if you had access to a tokenizer like Java does, you could parse the incoming serial data a bit more easily.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:05:16 pm by BKnight760 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: