Go Down

Topic: Turn a transistor into a solar cell! (Screw it, a phototransistor!) (Read 399 times) previous topic - next topic

cjdelphi

http://rimstar.org/renewnrg/make_solar_cell_using_transistor_2n3055.htm

A solar cell is kinda futile, but exposing the wafer to sunlight produces a voltage, this then could be used as an optoisolator or if you're desperate a very very tiny solar panel.

I started looking because I remembered the story at Bell Labs, they had a chunk of silicon and some junctions had impurities in and by co-incidence he had a desk fan on his desk going, and when he used his oscilloscope  he was detecting wave patterns, fluctuations after a bit of further investigation he worked out the fan blades were blocking light, letting light through as the blades spun....

So I wondered if anyone tried to convert a transistor to a phototransistor, not found much except for what I just posted.

cjdelphi

oric_dan

Oct 20, 2013, 06:02 am Last Edit: Oct 20, 2013, 06:04 am by oric_dan Reason: 1
You've discovered the secret ingredient of life.  Google search, done "first". More efficient than almost anything else.

cjdelphi

You've discovered the secret ingredient of life.  Google search, done "first". More efficient than almost anything else.

I already knew it was possible, just never looked into how....

jackrae

Oct 20, 2013, 10:13 am Last Edit: Oct 20, 2013, 10:32 pm by jackrae Reason: 1
50 or so years ago the metal capped OC71 transistor used to work well as a photo-transistor if you removed the black outer coating.  

In effect it then became the much more expensive OCP71.  At that time the glass encapsulation was filled with what looked like a clear silicon grease.

It didn't take long for the manufacturer to twig onto this trick and started filling the OC71 bodies with a translucent filler which obscured the junction, so ensuring sales of their OCP71

Go Up