Go Down

Topic: Line out to mic line (Read 694 times) previous topic - next topic

Terrier

hey i need some suggestions to solve a problem with my gsm-playground shield.
The shield has an onboard mic, but what i want is to play an audiofile from my computer.
So when you call the gsm-shield with your mobile phone you should hear music.

Can i get rid of the mic and connect an aux cable to the shield? Or use a digital to analog converter?

I also need a solution for the other way round. I want to record the shields audio output with an computer.

That is the shield that i'm talking about:
http://www.hwkitchen.com/products/gsm-gps-playground-shield-for-arduino/

Thx in advance for any solutions.

DVDdoug

A line-level signal is around 1V and a microphone signal is around 10-100mV (depending on the loudness and how close the line level is to the home audio or pro audio standards, etc.).  Headphone-level is also close to line-level, so you can connect a headphone output to a line-input.      (But, not the other way around...  The voltage is OK, but the  headphone impedance is too low for a line-output.)

So, you can use a voltage divider (2 resistors) to knock-down the signal to somwhere between 1/10th and 1/100th of it's original voltage.   You can experiment, or use a pot to make it adjustable.

But, that shield looks expensive!  I'd be cautious about hacking it up!   :smiley-eek:

Also, since it looks like you'll be transmitting mono you'll need to mix the left & right channels together.   Do NOT hard-wire the channels togther.   You should NEVER connect two outpus together.  (It's usually OK to connect two inputs together.)   Put a resistor (1K - 10K) in series with each output.  (Those resistors can be part of your voltage divider.)

And it's not a big deal in this case, but in-general, you'd like to avoid reducing line-level to mic-level  whenever possible.    All amplifiers add noise so there is added noise when you re-amplify the signal.

Terrier

thanks for your help. it worked quite good, but as you said it's a bit noisy. is there any way to reduce the noise?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy