or was it because the dangling wires got into contact with each other and caused a short circuit.
Never power a servo from the 5V Arduino supply, servos take far more currentthan the on-board regulator can supply, and can produce voltage spikes.For some reason Arduino boards these days seem to come with regulators thatdo not fail-safe and shutdown on over-current (judging from a few recent posts).The Nano is so small there may not be room for a robust regulator anyway.The information about the boards should say what current you can draw from theon-board regulator, and you should always check you are not overloading it _before_switching on. So yes there is always a limit, and you need to check.Even small servos can take 1 to 2A peak currents, and more importantly theycan inject high-voltage spikes back onto the supply. You never power a Servoor motor from the 5V logic supply for that reason - first rule of driving motorsand other inductive loads (relays). There are ways to make it work, but to play safe never do this.
Quoteor was it because the dangling wires got into contact with each other and caused a short circuit.That would do it for certain!
The funny thing was, those dangling wires, they were supposed to be for the servo. But I took out the servo motor because my code wasn't really testing it but the LED. And so I took the servo out. But it still popped. I'm really confused and I'm worried that when I get another Nano, the same thing would happen when I connect the circuit back.
But judging on the components that I have connected, are those really too much for the Nano? And what if when the servo is connected? I looked at the Nano specs, but I still cannot figure out how to determine whether I'm overloading or not.
If you disconnected the servo while it was powered up, that's the worst possible actionyou could have done - disconnecting an inductive load that's carrying current _guarantees_ an inductive spike into your supply.
Is there a limit to the number of pins and components I can use on an Arduino Nano board? My Arduino Nano just popped and released a thin cloud of smoke when I plugged in the USB to test my programme.
But judging on the components that I have connected, are those really too much for the Nano?
Is it more possible that there was a short circuit than it was overloaded?
Hmm, the page doesn't mention it, but you can assume something like 100mA is likelyfor a small regulator like that. Absolutely no way a servo should be powered throughthe Nano, though, that's bad bad news.
Did you have resistors inline with the LEDs? How was the button wired in?
If happened as you plugged in the USB? Is there another power supply in the mix? This sounds like what happens if you have two power supplies and the grounds aren't connected.Did you see which chip the smoke came out of? What looks burned on the board?
It's very unlikely to be the cause.USB connectors are required to have polyfuses in them. If you short-circuit a USB powered device the USB port will usually shut down until you disconnect the cable.
Please enter a valid email to subscribe
We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the
email we just sent you.
Thank you for subscribing!
via Egeo 16