Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino For Teens - My New Book is out!  (Read 9266 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

"Arduino for Teens" is finally released!

Are you interested in building an interactive toy, automated artwork, or robot and have no idea where to start? Or do you want to control a holiday light display? Are you new to microcontrollers or electronics in general? These projects are made from smaller, simpler pieces like those presented here. Your imagination is the only limit once you have gained experience with your Arduino, sensors, and motors. Designed for students, artists, and other nonengineers, the Arduino provides an inexpensive, beginner-friendly microcontroller platform. This book will help you translate your idea into a successful project using the Arduino for control. Written especially for new users, ARDUINO FOR TEENS shows you how to put this capable little microcontroller to work! This book will open up the world of automation to you in new and exciting ways as you explore the Arduino's capabilities. Step-by-step, you'll be guided through: understanding your new Arduino and its capabilities, converting your idea into an achievable Arduino project, connecting your Arduino to the outside world using example circuits, using the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) to write and download programs, writing software to control your project using example programs, debugging your project and making it work, and selecting your next (or first) project.

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1285420896/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WVRW6ATR3CJJPP8WGV4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630072222&pf_rd_i=507846
Publisher
http://www.delmarlearning.com/Browse_Product_Detail.aspx?CatID=43536&ISBN=1285420896

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:59:50 am by CrossRoads » Logged

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Alamos, Sonora, Mexico
learning never stops.
View Profile

Robert,

I ordered TWO of the books just now... One for myself to use here in Alamos, Sonora, Mexico...and one as a gift for Daniel Hernandez (also here in  the Fórums) to use in Arduino classes in Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico. Can't wait to dig into them.

(Hey, maybe Daniel would be interested in translating this book into Spanish for you....)

BTW, my wife and I are from the Capital District Región in Upstate New York (North Greenbush).... Very familiar with RPI!!

Peter

Quiero una vida simple en Mexico...nada mas.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Robert, congratulations, I hope the book is a big success!  There is no group I'd rather see get excited about Arduino than teenagers.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Thanks guys. I'll have to ask the publisher about translated copies.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

God Member
View Profile

Well done, Bob! Publishing a book is a marathon, taking dedication, focus and stamina.

I also admire your raw ambition. Teens? I would have started with "Men under 50."  

smiley-mr-green

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Congratulations! a book is a hell of a project.

Also available in Europe - http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/1285420896/ -

Is there a preview of the TOC available?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

TOC beside what is on the Amazon page?
Pressestimmen
Introduction. 1. Meet the Family. 2. The Tools of the Trade. 3. From Idea to Project. 4. A Guided Tour of Your New Arduino. 5.To Cookbook or Not to Cookbook. 6.How to Read Specification Sheets. 7. Input and Output. 8.Programming Environments. 9.Writing the Code. 10.Downloading Your Program. 11. Debugging. 12.Bragging Rights and Pleas for Help. 13. Expanding Your Horizons with Shields. 14. Application Ideas. Appendix A - Programming Reference. Appendix B - Where to Buy. Appendix C - Project Ideas. Appendix D - Specification Sheet.

The actual TOC is 9 pages long, with 12-15 and more sections per Chapter.

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

I just noticed that you have published a book Crossroads. Congratulations on a job well done and I wish you much success (imagine much hand clapping   smiley-cool )

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Thanks Pedro. I was not able to log-in when you posted, sorry for late response.

Amazon has updated the info on Arduino For Teens. The complete Table of Contents is now posted.

And it is apparently available on Kindle now too!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJXOI4Q/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

Canberra Australia
God Member
Hardcore Arduino
View Profile

That's good, and it was very remiss of me not to include "Mrs Crossroads" as I see she also partook in producing it  smiley-cool

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Just caught up with this. Congratulations Robert - I know what it takes to write a book. In the middle of two myself.

Edison Member
View Profile

For teens?

You have anything going for the mental capacity of a 11yo? My wife could learn then  smiley-twist

But seriously though, nice!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Thanks to all you of you. My wife did most of the writing, I did the schematics, code examples, and maintained technical correctness of stuff. Full time job, moderator, fencing coach, and custom designing kept me from writing very much. She has the MSEE and had spent a lot more time working with teens on other technical fronts, while my BSEE and total impatience with writing needed a lot of "tweaking" to maintain the book's overall style smiley-cool

Johannesburg. UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile

My order placed with local bookshop.....

Is it here yet? Jeez, what's taking so long...

The Elders of the Internet know who I am.....

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Its out on Kindle too - no need to wait for paper copy.
I don't enjoy reading that way tho.  No place to add notes!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: