Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Fall sensor  (Read 1860 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello everyone, Well, I'm doing a school project in which I'm building "fall sensor" (built by accelerometer sensor and converted him) that identifies when an elderly person falls with mpu9150 sensor. Notices fall when the sensor is sending your location with GPS sensor case (Venus GPS). now I'm a social the sensors and made by the instructors and the only thing it writes the sensor mpu9150: Binary sketch size: 6836 bytes (of a 32 256 byte maximum) I need to transfer the acceleration sensors and angle to the C # and then I will be OK.

Tnx a lot
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:09:50 pm by APSron » Logged

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

Is English your first language?
I really cannot understand what you have written.

You should try to write your problem down more clearly and include your code (use the # button).

View Profile

Hello everyone, Well, I'm doing a school-project and I need to build "fall sensor" (built by accelerometer sensor and converted him) and gonna use MPU-9150 sensor. In addition i need to connect GPS sensor (I have Venus GPS). I tried to connect the sensors alone but the only thing it writes the sensor mpu9150: Binary sketch size: 6836 bytes (of a 32 256 byte maximum).
BTW I need to transfer the data from acceleration sensors and angle to the C # .
Tnx a lot
I used 2 codes:
https://codeload.github.com/jrowberg/i2cdevlib/zip/master
https://codeload.github.com/sparkfun/MPU-9150_Breakout/zip/master

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

You need to explain what the concept you have in your mind as a "fall sensor" actually is in the Real World because nobody else knows this.

Tell us what might be falling - is this a person, or what object?  How far will it fall, where and onto what?  What are the consequences and what do you hope to achieve by assessing this fall?  What are you wanting to do with the measurement result?

View Profile

I want the data (angle and acceleration) from the sensor will move to C # and then I would tell when the man is falling. For example if the  acceleration greater than 10 meters per second (for example) then it is fall and the same in the angle.

Lacey, Washington, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

First: You really should make your subject line a succinct summary of your question. If everyone said "help me" or "please help with my project", the forum becomes a scramble of confusing topics that I, for one, won't navigate.

As for a "fall" sensor: If the sensor is on a person, and the intent is to tell if they are in freefall, then the sensor will only see acceleration when the person is NOT falling. And it will only feel acceleration of greater than 10m/s^2 if the person is being accelerated upwards, for instance when an elevator first starts going up, or when it stops going down.

What you feel, right now, is an acceleration of 9.8m/s^2, but you can only feel it because you are thwarted from actually being accelerated by a chair. Gravity accelerates all parts of you and the accelerometer, so you and it don't "feel" the acceleration when you are in free fall.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer
Please don't read your attitudes into my messages

View Profile

I know a person's acceleration is high if it is going to sit down because of this I rely also on the protractor.
But this is not the central issue at that moment.
I want to know how I should connect the sensors to C # so that the information from the sensors will switch to C # all the time.

Lacey, Washington, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

How do you know that their acceleration is high when sitting down, and how high do you think it is?

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer
Please don't read your attitudes into my messages

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile
And

You still have not explained what sort of "fall" you are trying to assess and why - as I previously asked.

That makes it very difficult to help or discuss in any way.

View Profile

Fall of an adult,
And fall (for example) when the acceleration is greater than 5 meters per second
And the angle is over 70 degrees.
I still need to do some experiments before I can say for sure, that's why I need to pass the information to C # and then I could reach a conclusion one mean.
But you do not understand, my question is how can I pass the information from the sensors to C # so I can start working with this information.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

All this talk about what constitutes a fall misses the point that OP simply, if I read it correctly, wants to send data from the sensor to a C# application. Seeing what code you have now, OP, is going to be essential. Are you correctly reading data from the sensor? How do you know? The only way to really know is to send data to the serial port, where some application on the PC is listening. One such application is the Serial Monitor. Another is your C# application.

If you can send data to the Serial Monitor, you can send it to your C# application.

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I agree with PaulS..

I wont comment on your approach or the values/data you need...

but start simple (as suggested)...
by using the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE....  if you are getting the values/data you think...

and you 'are' in fact triggers events/functions based on those values...

then you can worry about transmitting the data OUT to other applications..

Im not familiar with GPS or any of the shields...etc.... but..   Im going to assume, that one of the 'triggers' that happens when a 'fall event' has been detected... is to grab the local GPS coords.. and send them out to the C# app?... yes?  (along with whatever other data you want to pass on..name/age/address of person who fell?)

the part I'm missing is (maybe read to fast?)...  was HOW are you connecting your/this C# app/platform to......  anything?

the 'fall sensor' product.. will need to be stand alone....yes?  *(around the neck or whatever)*  and have to power it self, have the sensor connected to do constant reads/checks., have a way to pass/communicate this data OUT of the product/project... and ONTO its final destination?  (C# app?)

how is this C# app going to get any sort if data sent to it?
some sort of Wi-Fi? RF? Bluetooth? module?... on BOTH ends?  the C3 end.. and on the Arduino/Fall product end?

explain how you see this working?

View Profile

ok, first ty for the help.
today i talked with my teacher and she told me that i dont need to work on c#,
now i want that the data from the sensor will show like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xL-VcRyjQ
what i need to do?
ty

Ok, now I'm the investigation stage, which means I still had no the data I need, such as acceleration and angle of fall. So I need to experiment with sensors and check these data.
So my question is how can I make the sensor data will have on the computer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:39:06 am by APSron » Logged

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

first...
(and I know this isnt easy.)... I think you need to work on your English a bit.. or at least go back and re-read what you typed, its hard to decipher all the things your saying correctly.

MY suggestion is to do this in STEPS.. (small steps)..

1.) get an Arduino
2.) get your accelerometer/fall sensor of choice
3.) connect them together..
4.) keep your USB cable plugged into the computer
5.) output the accelerometer data to the serial monitor.

once you get that far.. come back.

Also be ready to post a list of the data you require:

angle
velocity
(eventually GPS coords?)

and because you want some sort of visual representation in the way of graphics...  I would look into using PROCESSING to take your streamed data and make 'graphics' for it.

however for you.. your first steps of getting Arduino hooked up correctly.. and the accelerometer connected, working and outputting values/data is crucial.

View Profile

1.) get an Arduino
2.) get your accelerometer/fall sensor of choice
3.) connect them together..
4.) keep your USB cable plugged into the computer

5.) output the accelerometer data to the serial monitor.

First thanks for the help.
Now I did all the steps up to 5,
And my question is simple, which code I need to write so I can see the data from the sensors in the PC

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: