Go Down

Topic: Is my Arduino broken? (Read 556 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello,
I have recently connected a 7 segment display to my Arduino with a 9v battery. It worked fine until one morning when I turned it on it displayed all 7 segments lit while the Arduino was restarting. Is my Arduino broken??????

Thanks for any replies
Michael Schmid

JimboZA

I suppose one way to test the Arduino would be to disconnect that display and try a few different sketches doing different things. You could try the blink sketch for example, to see if the built-in led on pin 13 still works, etc etc.
"Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then? "

No PMs for help please.
DO NOT power servos from Arduino 5V: give them their own power and connect the grounds.

Blink works
any other help because I'm lost

Thanks JimboZA

Michael Schmid

JimboZA

How are you driving the display?- is each segment connected to its own pin or using a chip?- if so the chip might be faulty. Presumably you triple-checked the wiring....

Did you test the display by itself?- hook it up to a 5v supply without using the Arduino and see if each of the segs works individually- ie, make sure that it's not the display that's causing all segs to light when you apply 5v (thru a resistor) to each seg.

"Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then? "

No PMs for help please.
DO NOT power servos from Arduino 5V: give them their own power and connect the grounds.

The good news is that if Blink runs, your Arduino is not broken. If you are operating on battery, I'd suggest getting a new one. Chances are the display uses much more power than the on board LED.  If you are using a breadboard, check for loose or intermittent connections. Start with the simple stuff, battery first.  Try to measure the battery voltage with your project in the failed state. that would be a good place to start  At any rate posting your code and a schematic would help. Good luck.

Thanks for everyone who commented. It is now working in mint condition it might of just been my wiring.

Michael Schmid

Go Up