Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LCD 160 x 128 4.7inch controlled over long range wireless 3DR??  (Read 712 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,
I am new to arduino. Yeah I know, however I have over 20years of IT experience and my knowledge is broad, just not extensive on electronics side.
OK so here is my project. I am considering arduino but uncertin if the components are available to solve my problem.
I have seen the video experimenter board that overlays characters on AV stream and also the Maxim chip used in the MinimOSD boards to overlay telemetry data over AV, however I'm wondering if it's possible (without significant engineering) to read LCD data (yet to confirm the devices LCD pinout) and either convert it so that the output is AV (instead of the regular LCD cable 20pin or other...).
Alternatively, if I can't do that, then I am considering multiplexing or relaying the data using Xbee or 3DR or one of those to a remove LCD.
The reason for wanting to do the first option is that it eliminates the need for a second remote LCD as my current project already uses a AVin Display and 5.8GHZ FPV gear. If I can get arduino or some other processor/solution to convert the LCD data to AV then I can just use off-the-shelf AV switcher into my 5.8GHZ TX back to the base station.

Why LCD?  I have an product (purchased off the shelf that has a 4inch 160 x 128 LCD screen), I want to use the product on a remote unmanned vehicle, however weight restrictions mean I can only have the devices main board and sensors on the vehicle and I'd like to see it's LCD/have the LCD display at the base station.
So I'm considering dismantling the device and using arduino to do away with the LCD and integrate with on board FPV OR use arduino to relay (maybe multiplex) the LCD digital pins/output back to the base station.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that this could be as simple as an off the shelf cable coverter board. I will wait for the device to arrive, dismantle it to inspect the existing LCD cable to see if an off the shelf video coverter board  can be bought.

UPDATE: The converter board is EXPENSIVE, so we're back to arduino again. Can arduino be programmed to be
a LVDS to AV converter? i.e covert digital LVDS to analog AV out?
Any help or ideas appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:09:35 am by ubb73 » Logged

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You need to provide some information about the hardware, specifically part numbers,
datasheets - otherwise we have little idea of what you have.

Where did LDVS come in, you suddenly mention it in the last para?  LVDS is used these
days on large LCD displays - way way beyond the capabilities of Arduinos, these links
are gigabit rates.

What do you mean by AV?  That just means "audio-visual", its not a hardware protocol
or connector standard - Svideo? analog VGA? digital VGA? DVI? etc etc

4 inch 160x128 ?  That's very bizarre, never heard of a display that large with
that low a resolution?  Is this definitely video or might it be a framebuffer device?

Part numbers... datasheets...  Can't do anything without details....

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

Hello,
Thanks for responding!
I will get the model number or at least pictures of the  display, controller boards, and or cables when it arrives in approx 4 days and post here with the details.
You're right about LVDS, that is my bad. I was just trying to guess the cable/interface without the item.
I know the display is approx 4inches FTSN 160 x 128 4 level greyscale. More details will come soon.
After a quick look around I think it's more likely some parallel or serial to drive this display.
The unmanned vehicle will have an APM2.5 board in it so one option if it's parallel/serial and I can't work out a way to go from
LCD -> composite video AV (that answers your question about AV - I just mean two wire analog video...like cameras output) -> 5.8GHZ FPV camera switcher -> ground station, then the option of just using arduino to multiplex/relay the LCD cable(parallel/serialmaybe) over 3DR gear and maybe mavlink protocol to another arduino, possibly demultiplexing before going back to cable into LCD at ground station is the way to go.
I just wish I could go from LCD -> composite video AV on the Rover and do away with the devices LCD altogether (thus making the ground station even more portable with one less LCD to carry around).

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:54:38 pm by ubb73 » Logged

View Profile

I have the datasheets for the interface between PCBA (on remote vehicle) to LCD (to be on groundstation).
First datasheet is for controller used on LCD (looks much like the hitachi to talk to and I see there are some libraries for it already)
Second datasheet is for LCD interface.
Looks like this is pretty standard as far as LCD's go, just maybe a little customised to suit the UC1610.
Looks like it's using 8bit parallel interface.

I'm going to think out aloud here.
Option 1:
PCBA with remote sensor -> 3DR -> groundstation with LCD (UC1610) 
For this I think I'll have to convert from 8bit parallel from PCBA (arduino does the work) to serial , transmit serial over 3DR gear to basestation where serial is either sent to UC1610 (I need to read some more but I think I don't need 8bit parallel at RX and can use less wire configuration /serial direct to 1610).  I see I can use a shift register parallel -> serial chip or something along those lines to covert from 8bit parallel to serial.

Option 2: Preferred.
Do away with LCD and UC1610 altogether on base station. My remote sensor has FPV gear 5.8GHZ already. If I can develop some solution with arduino to be a drop in replacement for the 8bit parallel UC1610 controller that converts from 8bit parallel to NTSC/PAL -> camera switcher, I'll be able to view the sensor PCBA display on my existing composite AV on ground station.
What I need to work out is
- Can I do the 8bit parallel coversion easily and use existing TVout libraries to draw the LCD data to NTSC/PAL.
-  Looking at chips existing today already i.e MAX7456, but I can't find one that doesn't work on characters. Need to read all the MAX7456 threads to see if I can get it just drawing at a pixel level so the 8bit parallel commands are easy to translate.

I want to do this with the least amount of pain and fewest number of parts.
That said I'm not looking for someone to do it for me, that would take all the fun out!, but any links to material/reading is appreciated.

* uc1610.pdf (2138.88 KB - downloaded 17 times.)
* SFLA7205-50.pdf (28.19 KB - downloaded 33 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: