Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose ...  (Read 1651 times)
UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

No, this is not intended for the French language section!

The longer I follow the Arduino Forum the more obvious it is that people are asking virtually the same questions over and over and over ...

Don't the longer standing members ever get tired of repeating the same old answers?
How do they find the energy to open yet another query about the green square on the left/right of the red/blue?

OR ... Isn't the whole Forum falling short of its potential by not having a better system that (a) helps newbies to find relevant stuff even when they are not sure of the terminology and (b) that helps the helpers to point the newbies to the answers without having to repeat everything?

Clearly the recommendation to read the stuff before you post is widely and routinely ignored - so more of that isn't the solution.

I believe things would be much more useful if posts could be tagged with topics picked from a list (e.g. stepper motor, Xbee shield, whatever) so that it would be easy for newbies to find relevant posts and to be told where to look. In the concept I have in mind additions to the list of topics should be subject to approval by the moderators to keep the list as short as practicable and so that there is no possibility of silly hair-splitting or accidentally having competing names for what is essentially the same subject.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if other readers have much better ideas.

...R

The Netherlands
Edison Member
View Profile

Quote from: Robin2
The longer I follow the Arduino Forum the more obvious it is that people are asking virtually the same questions over and over and over ...

Don't the longer standing members ever get tired of repeating the same old answers?
How do they find the energy to open yet another query about the green square on the left/right of the red/blue?
And yet this is another one of those same threads..

OR ... Isn't the whole Forum falling short of its potential by not having a better system that (a) helps newbies to find relevant stuff even when they are not sure of the terminology and (b) that helps the helpers to point the newbies to the answers without having to repeat everything?
And:
Clearly the recommendation to read the stuff before you post is widely and routinely ignored - so more of that isn't the solution.
Most of these newbies just pop in once or twice to shoot their question and wait for answers.
Lots of them won't reply to follow up questions and very very few will say thanks for an answer.
What makes you think for a second they even try to use any search option, no matter how well it will return some fitting threads ?

I believe things would be much more useful if posts could be tagged with topics picked from a list (e.g. stepper motor, Xbee shield, whatever) so that it would be easy for newbies to find relevant posts and to be told where to look. In the concept I have in mind additions to the list of topics should be subject to approval by the moderators to keep the list as short as practicable and so that there is no possibility of silly hair-splitting or accidentally having competing names for what is essentially the same subject.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if other readers have much better ideas.
Do you have or know of a Simple Machine Forum option / plug in / whatever that offers such functionality ?
Or this functionality for other forum software that will still be affordable ?

Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

People can't even follow simple, clearly posted guidelines on how to post.
Maybe the whole forum format is inappropriate, or maybe people expect too much of it.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Edison Member
View Profile

What is needed is a Sin Bin! If a post doesn't conform to the guidelines, instead of asking people to fix up their code/whatever, a moderator moves the thread to the Sin Bin. In the Sin Bin, the OP can edit their posts but not post new messages, the existing thread is locked and nobody except a mod can post. The only way out is to fix up the message.

Pete

Where are the Nick Gammons of yesteryear?

The Netherlands
Edison Member
View Profile

Such Sin Bin might be a solution for toddlers.
Let's just hope for a bit more mature forum and audience.

I know of some forums that do have an approach like that.
Very hostile moderators over there with a crusade to opinions different from their own.
Very unlike the medium Internet is supposed to be, if you ask me.

Edit: typo (word "if")
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:42:41 pm by MAS3 » Logged

Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

I try to be calm and even-handed, but when you're faced with the third smiley-ridden code snippet of the day with the immortal "it doesn't work", it is very hard not to reach for the "remove topic"  button, or post something scathing but then we just get the bleats about picking on noobs.

Just like the Laws of Thermodynamics, moderators can't win and they can't break even.
They can, however, quit the game.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

They can, however, quit the game.
Please don't. Thank you for all the hard work that you do. I know it's frustrating, and that the topics on the moderator list represent only the tip of the iceberg. The work that you, and the other moderators, do IS appreciated.

Edison Member
View Profile

The way the internet should be?
This is the way it should be:
- all first-time posters in these forums should have read the sticky "how to use this forum" which is at the top of each of the groups. They should then have done precisely what it says they should do.
- all users of these forums should appreciate that the moderators are needed to help maintain a semblance of order simply because a lot of users do not do what they should do.
- Nick Gammon, for example, should not have to spend ten minutes merging at least three different threads on the same topic all from the same user

@AWOL - hang in there mate. You and the other mods are doing a great job.

Pete

Where are the Nick Gammons of yesteryear?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: