Go Down

Topic: Visual Micro - how to really use this thing? (Read 3071 times) previous topic - next topic

dapug

I've got Visual Micro installed in VS 2012 and Atmel Studio. I have been using Visual Studio since before it was even called Visual Studio, so I am a well versed .NET dev.  *I am a total noob, however, to Arduino, and have been doing all kinds of successful things using the Arduino IDE.* :)

HOWEVER, I can't get Visual Micro to behave like Arduino IDE, or as expected in VS:

• When I open a sketch, it works great as long as it only relies on core libraries.  I cannot figure out how to reference external libraries.  Arduino IDE makes this INSANELY easy by just dropping it into your libraries folder, and the files that maintain proper folder structure "just work". Great, how do I get Visual Micro to do the same?

• Similar to above, I can open the Micro Explorer, shows me Examples from the Core Arduino install.  But my external lib examples don't show up.  Why? (again, with Arduino IDE, they "just show up" when you drop them in your Arduino folder)

• Intellisense is AWESOME. It even shows things from ALL available libraries as I type... except my downloaded external libraries.  Why?  (probably related to above)

• Opening an arduino sketch in Arduino IDE that includes a header from an external library works fine. Open this same sketch in Visual Micro... no love. Has no idea where the included header resides (cannot navigate to declaration, nothin)

• If I open an Arduino Sketch (mentioned above) and then close it, it asks if I want to save changes. I say NO. It "poops" all over my sketch folder with VS specific files anyway.  (minor nit, but annoying)

• As a C# developer (admittedly and blissfully not C++), I am used to simply "add reference" when using external libraries and even projects within the same solution. The project/solution structure of Visual Micro is really odd.  I'm completely out of my realm as far as knowing how to create a library, and reference it in my Arduino main project/sketch. Aside from debugging and a great coding experience (in a single sketch with no reference), the whole point of getting away from Arduino IDE is to get into more complex project structures with libraries instead of big monolithic sketch files. But it's dang confusing how to, or to know what are best practices. Where are some good tutorials on that?

I've watched several videos, read through several forums.  Most everything about Visual Micro is awesome, but I just cant figure out these most basic things.  Surely it is possible, else this plug in would not be pitched as "100% compatible" with Arduino AVR/IDE.  As a well versed VS guy, I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. I believe a kitten just died somewhere.

Graynomad

I use VM with AS but have not encountered this yet, I did develop a library with it but that was 6 months ago, way to long for me to remember what I did.

I seem to remember though that I did not get the intellisence for my library, I'll bring it back up and check.

Have you asked on the VM forum?

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

dapug

As of the moment, I can't get access to the VM forum.  They've got the most buggered, unorthodox registration system I've ever seen.  Apparently, you send them an email and they create you an account, eventually?  Kinda lowers my confidence in their product.  :(

Visual Micro

Nov 23, 2013, 06:23 pm Last Edit: Nov 23, 2013, 06:28 pm by Visual Micro Reason: 1
Hi depug,

I am sorry you found the forum registration a pain. Actually we get about 20 spam requests for each 1 real member so we use a system where by you apply via the registration page on the forum. We have recently started to sell the debugger option which brings in a small amount of revenue but everything else has been provided free for many years and as such we avoid too much extra work on behalf of spammers :) You will read on our site and in the forum that response to visualmicro.com new registration requests has been slightly slowed this month due to some unique factors. It is impossible for us to monitor a large forum such as this for ad-hoc requests which is why we provide the Visual Micro forum.  We hope to see your reg request if you have not already made one.

So to answer a few questions...

1) You will see intellisense for all sources including core and libraries. In VS intellisense and the ability to use the class explorers  for libraries and core is enhanced if you click "Project>Show all sketch files". This additional option is for more advanced users, does not affect compilation but simply brings the sources from the libraries and core directly into the project. (Click the menu item again to remove the additional sources). Without this option VS or Atmel will perform exactly like the Arduino Ide

2) If you can not see your libraries in the explorer or on the menu item "Project>Add/Import Sketch Library" then the SketchBook Folder path will be wrong in the Visual Micro options. The path should normally be automatically discovered by Visual Micro from your Arduino Ide configuration, however, it has possibly been overridden and is pointing to the wrong location? (or we have a bug that has not been reported but it would be an obvious bug that I would have expected to have been reported by many others)

Do you know how to see and change the Arduino SketchBook folder path in Visual Studio?

Thanks

Tim

Below you can see the config options that specify which version(s) of Arduino you are using, where they are installed and what sketchbook location you optionally want to use. The image shows the config for Arduino 1.0.x apps. You will see there is also an Arduino 1.5.x option available

Arduino for Microsoft Visual Studio Pro and Atmel Studio 6.1 http://www.visualmicro.com
Arduino Debugger http://www.visualmicro.com/post/2012/05/05/Debug-Arduino-Overview.aspx

Visual Micro

Update

The registration process for the Visual Micro forum is now automated.

New documentation for Visual Micro has been release and can be found here
Arduino for Microsoft Visual Studio Pro and Atmel Studio 6.1 http://www.visualmicro.com
Arduino Debugger http://www.visualmicro.com/post/2012/05/05/Debug-Arduino-Overview.aspx

Robin2

Arduino IDE makes this INSANELY easy

Perhaps there is a message here?

...R

Visual Micro

Yes sorry I wasn't clear.

Visual Micro is designed to be and is as INSANELY easy as the Arduino Ide.

Visual Micro also automatically detects and uses the sketchbook folder as specified in the Arduino Ide ensuring that user libraries are discovered in the same INSANELY easy way as in the Arduino Ide.

In the Arduino Ide it is possible for more advanced users to alter the sketchbook folder in the File>Preferences. Visual Micro uses that change unless overridden in the Visual Micro options.

I expect the path has been overridden in Visual Micro without a clear understanding of how the Arduino sketchbook folder relates to the user libraries folder.

Thanks

The INSANELY easy Visual Micro config tool  :)

Robin2

Visual Micro also automatically detects and uses the sketchbook folder as specified in the Arduino Ide ensuring that user libraries are discovered in the same INSANELY easy way as in the Arduino Ide.

I use an external editor and I only use the Arduino IDE to compile and upload programs.

...R

Visual Micro

Hi Robin2,

We stopped using the external editor a long time ago because it makes development slow.

With Visual Micro we click one button or F5 and the sketch is compiled and uploaded. So this saves time.

The compile is also usually much faster than the Arduino Ide so this saves more time.

If we encounter compilation errors with our code we can double click the error and jump to the correct position in our source code. This also often saves  a lot of time.

The build process replicates the Arduino 1.0.x and 1.5.x versions so works with all sketch code.

There are many other benefits (for Windows and Mac users) of using Visual Micro with either Atmel Studio (free) or Visual Studio.

Thanks

AndreiDegtiarev

Aug 04, 2014, 10:32 am Last Edit: Aug 04, 2014, 11:13 am by AndreiDegtiarev Reason: 1

I've got Visual Micro installed in VS 2012 and Atmel Studio. I have been using Visual Studio since before it was even called Visual Studio, so I am a well versed .NET dev.  *I am a total noob, however, to Arduino, and have been doing all kinds of successful things using the Arduino IDE.* :)

HOWEVER, I can't get Visual Micro to behave like Arduino IDE, or as expected in VS:

As I first time got in contact with visual studio it was called Microsoft C++ (I hope I won)  :)
Since that time I got used to VS itself or Add-ons don’t work always in the way as you expected.
Nevertheless I made with my project quite good experience with VM. Just give one more chance to VM. After some difficulties at the beginning you will see that for the projects with more than one module the Arduino IDE isn’t better (I hope with this formulation I didn’t hurt smb.'s feelings)  :)

Visual Micro

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your support and it is great to hear you Visual Micro is working well for you.

I think the original poster of this thread was trying to make things work the way you would with a C++ or C# project. He wrote to us asking how to upload and we replied explaining which button/menu or shot cut can be clicked for upload.

So I think all is well  :)

Thanks again

Anyone else who requires assistance please see the dedicated Visual Micro forum and also the documentation might be useful.

Paul from Malta

Hi! I downloaded Visual Micro and have been using it for a couple of days and it is A BAJILLION TIMES BETTER than the Arduino IDE. I use it with the free atmel studio and absolutely love it.

Question, since there seems to be a Visual Micro guy in here. I'm having the same problem with trying to load in an external libary.

I added the library to Arduino\libraries and it does not seem to be getting found by visual micro. I keep getting this error:

error: TimerOne.h: No such file or directory  

TimeOne is the library i'm trying to get working but yeah, Visual Micro does not seem to be picking up new libraries added into the libraries directory. I did not touch the sketchbook folder. Thanks!

PS. I restarted the atmel studio, the computer, and pressed the "reload toolchains" button. Nothing seems to be working

-Paul

Grumpy_Mike

I downloaded Visual Micro and have been using it for a couple of days and it is A BAJILLION TIMES BETTER than the Arduino IDE.

This doesn't sit very well with:-
I'm having the same problem with trying to load in an external libary.

So better means doesn't work.  Yep I can see the Microsoft heritage here alright.

How many Microsoft Engineers does it take to change a light bulb.

Non - dark is simply declared as the new standard.

Visual Micro

Hi! I downloaded Visual Micro and have been using it for a couple of days and it is A BAJILLION TIMES BETTER than the Arduino IDE. I use it with the free atmel studio and absolutely love it.

Question, since there seems to be a Visual Micro guy in here. I'm having the same problem with trying to load in an external libary.

I added the library to Arduino\libraries and it does not seem to be getting found by visual micro. I keep getting this error:

error: TimerOne.h: No such file or directory  

TimeOne is the library i'm trying to get working but yeah, Visual Micro does not seem to be picking up new libraries added into the libraries directory. I did not touch the sketchbook folder. Thanks!

PS. I restarted the atmel studio, the computer, and pressed the "reload toolchains" button. Nothing seems to be working

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your message and positive words.

It's a different question but same end result. The user who opened this thread was trying to do something different to Arduino so the issue is different.

Yes lots of users are hapilly working with Visual Micro and Arduino libraries. This includes all Arduino library formats and possible storage locations.

If you can please join the forum where I provide support and will ask you a few questions and confirm you have installed correctly.

Thanks

Tim Leek

@Grumpy_Mike: Hey we have hundreds of thousands of happy windows users who have a really great Arduino compatible build environment. You might not like Microsoft products but we do, so please stop wasting our time with abusive spam. Thanks

lafontas

I've been evaluating the Visual Micro add-in for Microsoft Visual Studio recently and IMHO it improves Arduino development productivity.

I've not run into the external library import issue. You may want to verify using the Arduino IDE that the library is working properly and then confirm you have the right version of the Arduino IDE selected in Visual Micro. If you are using Windows 7/8 you may want to avoid installing the Arduino IDE in a Program Files directory as that seems to cause permission problems.

Go Up