Go Down

Topic: Thoughts on a costum midi controller (what should I use) (Read 701 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey guys and girls,

I'm having this idea to create a midi controller that works with Resolume Arena 4.
For you guys that don't know resolume, its a VJ program, you can see it as a mixing software for video clips

I did some thinking and first off all I'm going to have a lot of analog and digital components to give you guy's a list:

• 28 x Pot-meter (analog in)

• 3x Red LED (analog out)

• 3x Green LED (analog out)

• 5x Slide Pot-meter (analog in)

• 48 x Push buttons (digital in)

• 48 x R LEDs (indiactors) (digital out)

I draw something very quickly in photoshop so you can see where all the components come

Now my questions are:

whats the best board I use for this (a cheap as possible solution in general please) and is there some thinks I need to watch on like example external power supply for all the LEDs, extra ICs for port expansion etc.

not to forget: I want this build to be work with midi and it has to be midi over USB,(no Serial to MIDI conversion)
the VJ software takes a lot of resources so I don't want to waste any more cpu time on serial to MIDI conversion

I hope you guys can set me off on the right track

Grtz Thyvo

DVDdoug

Nov 13, 2013, 01:04 am Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013, 02:25 am by DVDdoug Reason: 1
It looks like you are trying to make a "Control Surface" (example).   But, MIDI is digital (until you get to the instrument that's generating sounds), and you've got lots of analog ins & outs.  Is this analog audio, video, or what?

I never built anything with MIDI, and if it was me I'd start by experimenting with something smaller...  Maybe build & test one of your functions or "modules" at a time before trying to put everything together in a big project like that.

the analog in/output is for lets say dry/wet effect so how bigger the value how intenser the effect its going to be

the data sended and received by the arduino is purly midi messages ( with channel information control information and the intense value)

the software side is not realy an issue, I have done some tests before and it works like a charm (but with serial to midi conversion)

now i'm looking for a micro controller that has a build-in midi capability over usb (no external serial to midi conversion or extra programs running to do this conversion)

maybe some IC's to expand the analog and digital in/outputs

I'm asking this because I don't to much experience with hardware and I want to do it right from the first time so I don't spent a lot of money on the wrong components

capicoso

4067 ic for 16 analog inputs
75hc595 for 8 led outputs
4021 for 8 buttons 
all on an arduino Uno. About the usb-midi thing, i don't know, i like the good old midi din 5

s-light

if you use a arduino that is based on Atmel ATmega32U4 this chip could be your USB Midi thing.
there are some finished libs for Mouse and Keyboard - but as far as i know no lib for Midi -
one option is to check LUFA (there are midi examples)
but i dont know if it is possible to get this in combination with the normal Arduino IDE...

if you have an UNO with the 8U2 you can use the dualMocoLUFA

i hope now you have some starting points...

sunny greetings
stefan

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy