Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: New ATTiny Part (ATTiny841)  (Read 10073 times)
Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

It appears Atmel have released a new ATTiny and from looking at the datasheet its scarily impressive:

Two Hardware UARTs (!!!)
Hardware SPI
Hardware I2C
64 Channel 10bit ADC
Two Analog Comparators
Two 16bit timers (!!!)
One 8bit timer
6 PWM outputs for which you get to choose which of the 8 PORTA outputs is a PWM pin.

Datasheet:
http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-8495-8-bit-AVR-Microcontrollers-ATtiny441-ATtiny841_Datasheet.pdf

I can't wait until AVR-GCC supports it - if it doesn't already.

~Tom~

View Profile

No DIP package  smiley-sad

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

True, but the 1.27mm SOIC packages are relatively easy to solder and adapter boards can be got for next to nothing on eBay.

~Tom~

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Pretty interesting.  With more memory and a couple other small details, they could have called it an ATmega.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

That's real nice, and with the recent tiny1634 we are getting some real good alternatives to the 85/84/2313s we've had for ever. All good chips in their way but each is missing something that's hard to live without.

64 Channel 10bit ADC
It's 46 isn't it. But either way it's a 20-pin chip max. Eh?

_____
Rob
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:10:50 am by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

64 Channel 10bit ADC
It's 46 isn't it. But either way it's a 20-pin chip max. Eh?

14Pin SOIC chip. There are 46 differential channel options and 12 single channel options and 4 internal sources (internal reference, temperature sensor, both supply rails). So 62 usable channels in total, but its a 6bit mux.

~Tom~

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

What do they mean when they list some of the differential options as, for example, positive is ADC0 and negative is ADC0 (the pin and itself, listed at the top of p.145)?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I believe those options are used to measure the (internal?) offset for calibration.  It's odd the t841 datasheet does not mention anything.  I think the ATtiny85 datasheet had a brief note about same channel differential inputs.

UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi, will this new MCU be supported by the Arduino IDE?  Thanks.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Saw this post earlier, but also received an email yesterday from Atmel with a link to a press release about the new parts. So I was reading a little more and noticed a couple things I hadn't before.

ATtiny441/841 have a different, "ultra low power" watchdog oscillator that can be programmed to operate between 32kHz and 512kHz. As before, it can also be used as the system clock. Plus, it has its own separate calibration register in addition to the usual one for the internal RC oscillator.

One downside I can see is that the I2C interface is described as a slave interface. Have to wonder whether the hardware could somehow be coaxed into master mode, but haven't looked into it.

I hope they have versions in the pipeline with more memory, I can see running out of flash and SRAM if a person makes use of most of the peripheral features.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Centennial, CO
It should work...
View Profile

I happened across the 841 just yesterday while I was searching for a part with two 16-bit capture peripherals.

I was looking for an ATtiny part to do quadrature decoding on two robot wheels at once. Only problem was that SCL and the capture pin were shared smiley-sad  But anyway, this is a neat chip. $1.50 in singles, not bad. I love that it has a real TWI peripheral.

Can't be *that* hard to port the arduino-tiny core to this (or any other chip).

I wonder if anyone would want a breadboard breakout of this?  I could put something together in a couple weeks or so and stick it up on my Tindie store with the other ATtiny boards.

Definitely gotta play with this thing.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

A breakout might be useful, especially if the Arduino core gets ported across. I see this chip as being a nice 84/85/2313 replacement.

BTW, are you happy with the Tindie arrangement, I might be looking for a sales outlet soon.

_____
Rob

UK
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yip, this new MCU looks great, Arduino could do with a nice low-power option for battery powered applications - I will keep watching with interest.  I have used Tindie from the UK before so count me in for a nice 841 low power board :-)

Centennial, CO
It should work...
View Profile

Yeah Tindie works out pretty good I think, provided you can drum up some decent interest in forums on your blog or whatnot.

If I end up doing a breakout / dip implementation I'll post up.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Thanks.

______
Rob

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: