Go Down

Topic: Arduino has its own USB Vendor ID!!  ? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

wally123

Where to find some more details on this twitter message ?

wally

PaulS

Jeff K

FTDI will supply a few free ID's under their Vendor ID.  So there is no reason the Arduino couldn't have it's own ID.  Unfortunately doing this requires you to have drivers with this ID.  This would break any plug-n-play capability.  You would need to download a specific driver or force the regular driver to be installed.

It is possible to change the ID on your own with some software from FTDI.  This would allow you to identify it easier within your OS and have a custom name for it.
Jeff K - JKDevices.com - home of the MegaMini

wally123

deSilva

Aug 16, 2010, 01:08 pm Last Edit: Aug 16, 2010, 01:09 pm by mpeuser Reason: 1
I plugged in some Arduinos:

VID_0403+PID_6001+5&4091F22&0&1\0000 (an old one, NG I think)

VID_0403+PID_6001+A100EEWQA\0000
(A modern Chinese 328 version)
VID_0403+PID_6001+A100EENFA\0000
(Another Chinese 328)

VID_0403+PID_6001+A600AF73A\0000
(This an original Italien Duemilanova)

VID_0403+PID_6001+A700E6V0A\0000
(A Sparkfun USB/TTL Breakout board)

scruss

Looks like the Uno has  Vendor ID:      0x2341, Product ID:      0x0001.

Matt R

mowcius

Some people in the Arduino forum have thought of forming a group that would purchase a VID for Arduinites to use in personal projects. This is a pretty good idea and its probably the best way to avoid VID/PID conflicts. Between 65,536 projects, that comes to under a nickel per PID.

Hehe

admin

BTW I'm negotiating with the USB-IF to see if we can allocate a PID for non-commercial Arduino experimentation. the community could use this for DIY projects.

let's see what they say

mowcius

BTW I'm negotiating with the USB-IF to see if we can allocate a PID for non-commercial Arduino experimentation. the community could use this for DIY projects.

let's see what they say

Yeah that is good news but tbh for experimenting we can use any PID we want as nobody's gonna see it/plug it in apart from us.

We really need a VID and PIDs for all of the derivitive boards that are going to be created.

macegr

What happens if my company buys a VID and make some statement to the effect that we'll probably never use a PID number higher than 0x1000? If some third-party site to track and assign PIDs is spontaneously created by the community, how could I be liable?
Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

Go Up