Go Down

Topic: Uploading error I am not familiar with (Pro Mini) (Read 633 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

In the original post you say
I have tested the Mini Pro by messing around with the basic pin 13 blink program which does upload and seems to work fine.  What am I missing?  What other information can I provide that may help?

Is that still the case? Could it be you just forgot to select the correct processor in the tools menu when you switched over from a UNO?

sulla

In the original post you say
I have tested the Mini Pro by messing around with the basic pin 13 blink program which does upload and seems to work fine.  What am I missing?  What other information can I provide that may help?

Is that still the case? Could it be you just forgot to select the correct processor in the tools menu when you switched over from a UNO?

No I made a mistake and did not change the variables enough.  The light flashed on the MiniPro like it was trying to accept a new upload and went back to flashing.  I fooled myself into thinking it was fast slow fast slow.  As far as I know I have the right tool selections.  Mini Pro 5V, mega 328P.

Here is the board configuration I have on my mini.  I am not sure at all now what should be connected to what.  I am looking for any spec sheets I can for it but so far have not found any specific to this clone board.

sulla

Some things I learned when I was trying to do the same thing a while ago:
- RTS on the serial side gets connected to the RST (Reset) on the Pro Mini. On my USB converter this is up the side of the small PCB.
- In the Windows Device Manager for the COM port, go to the Advanced Setting tab and make sure that "Set RTS on Close" is checked.

For manual reset:
- Start the download from the IDE
- Hold down the reset on the Mini Pro
- When the Tx/Rx light on the USB converter blinks the first time, let the reset go.

The manual reset method works almost 100% of the time if you do it this way. The IDE will retry 3 times to establish connection and then give you the message you see.

I don't see a RTS on my FTDI Breakout board.

I tried the manual reset using the FTDI breakout board connected to the Mini Pro as-as (see below) with no success.  I the programmer is set on AVRISPmkII.  Is my my FTDI to Min Pro connection incorrect?  Should the RXD be connected to RX and TXD to TX? 

FTDI-ProMini
GND-BLK
CTS-GND
VCC-VCC
TXD-RX
RXD-TX
DTR-GRN

marco_c

In my setup Rx to Rx and Tx to Tx. The pins are basically connected straight through from one board to the other (5V and GND included), but that clearly depends on the USB converter design.
Arduino libraries http://arduinocode.codeplex.com
Parola hardware & library http://parola.codeplex.com

Go Up