Go Down

Topic: DMX Out on ATTINY85-20... (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

mcnobby

I am nuts about DMX and Arduino ! So getting them together is a real challenge and a joy for me !

My latest purchase is ATTiny85's, I have made an Arduino ISP board, and my first project was to get the tiny to spit out DMX signals to 512 channels (just dimming up/down for now), within half an hour I got it all working (although not tweaked) there were no glitches !

I shall post the code soon as its on my other PC

I intend to couple this DMX code with a simplified FFT code so that I can audio process music and convert it to 16 channels of light..Bob
while (z--) { snoreEvenLouder(); }
www.smartshow.lighting - www.dmx512.lighting

mcnobby

WORKING DMX CODE ON ATTINY85

Code: [Select]
#include "pins_arduino.h";
#define sig 3                 // DMX signal output pin
int value = 0;
int valueadd = 3;

void setup () {
  pinMode(sig, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(sig, HIGH);
}

void loop(){
  while(1){
    digitalWrite(sig, LOW); 
    delay(10);     
    shiftDmxOut(sig, 0);     
    for (int count = 1; count <= 512; count++){
      shiftDmxOut(sig, value);
    }
    value += valueadd;
    if ((value == 0) || (value == 255)){
      valueadd *= -1;
    }
  } // while
}

void shiftDmxOut(int pin, int theByte){
  int port_to_output[] = { NOT_A_PORT, NOT_A_PORT, _SFR_IO_ADDR(PORTB)};
  int portNumber = port_to_output[digitalPinToPort(pin)];
  int pinMask = digitalPinToBitMask(pin);
  _SFR_BYTE(_SFR_IO8(portNumber)) |= pinMask;
  //delayMicroseconds(10);
  cli(); 
  _SFR_BYTE(_SFR_IO8(portNumber)) &= ~pinMask;   
  fourUSdelay(); 
  for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++){
    if (theByte & 01){
    }
    else {
      _SFR_BYTE(_SFR_IO8(portNumber)) &= ~pinMask;
    }
    fourUSdelay();
    theByte >>= 1;
  }
  sei(); 
}

void fourUSdelay(void) {
    asm("nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n");
    asm("nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n nop\n");
}

mcnobby

The code was butchered from another source, which I have also got working on a 644 and 1284...

It doesnt use interrupts, but since it is just a simple program, it just bashes everything out willy-nilly !

I have yet to try this on some other products other than my 4 channel 240v fader pack

cadcoke5

Thanks for posting.  My own project is for accepting a DMX signal, and using the data to control a motor. But, I learned that monitoring the DMX line would take a great deal of the Arduino's processing power.  So, I think I will instead us a DMX to Serial interface from http://www.chromationsystems.com ($25 kit).

Have you heard of anyone else creating a motor controlled by a DMX signal, and using an Arduino?

-Joe

mcnobby

Hey Joe, I have written many programs that convert DMX data into light and movement using LEDs and servos and stepper motors, it can be done and is not at all processor hungry. I have used http://www.mathertel.de/Arduino/DMXSerial.aspx many times, its a great library, worth a try... the examples are really good too. Bob

cadcoke5

In regards to my own project, when I say "servo motor" I am not referring to the integrated RC Hobby type of system.  Rather, I am looking at the type of servo that uses a separate motor and controller.  The controllers use feedback from an external potentiometer, or a quadrature encoder.  These typically involved a number of parameters that must be set, and can sometimes have fairly complex in terms of what the Arduino is capable of handling. A PID control system, which you might recognize.

My own project (for which I am simply evaluating the feasibility), is to create a Tinkerbell character by suspending a 6" ball of LED's from two cords located in the upper corners of the stage opening.  The cords are on a motorized reel, controlled by a DMX signal.  I was initially hoping to have a fairly precise positioning system that can be pre-programmed. But, I might simplify it to be just a live joystick control that only controls the speed of the motors.

Can you describe some of your projects that involved motors?

Joe Dunfee
jdunfee12@yahoo.com

mcnobby

I've made a few simple scanners and moving head devices that receive DMX, plus made a few DMX controlling devices too, all good fun !!!

cadcoke5

I know most moving head lights use steppers. Were your systems only using steppers?

-Joe Dunfee

mcnobby

Yeah 5wire types, kind of NEMA ones I think, really easy to use and very cheap !

mcnobby

Here is a video of the project so far...

http://youtu.be/SBjkxvv0yRw

I have improved this further stil so that the ATTiny outputs differntial DMX rather than having to use a RS485 driver chip

Regards

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy