Go Down

Topic: different speeds, serial in / serial out register (Read 572 times) previous topic - next topic

Boffin1

I am on a project which overlays some graphics on a vga high definition screen.

The prototype is working well with a bucketful of HTC chips, but now I am back onto wanting to do it with the Arduino.

The problem is the speed at which a high definition screen switches, so I have got the actual horizontal switching running from a pair of 74LS165 parallel to serial registers, which  have preset links on the input while I was testing the speed / resolution, which is fine, and I have the sync sorted out.

I will now feed the 16 bits from a pair of 595 serial/parallel registers  fed from the micro. ( now back out of warp factor speeds )

It seems a long way round, but I can read from the 165 chips 16 times  - that is about 350 microsecs  -  while the 595s are refreshing and latching  once ( I hope ) .

(My pixels are 16 lines high )

( I will try tonight running the Shiftout example for the two 595s driving LEDs and see how long it takes to cycle..... )

Before I start hooking up the 16 wires between the parallel pins of the 4 chips, does anyone know of a simple 16 bit serial in/latch/serial out which can do the same thing?  That is the output to read from the latch many times while the serial input is loading?

I did a search and think one of the old UART chips might do it, but got a bit lost with the way they are addressed.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy