Go Down

Topic: 2 questions wrt pololu and newsoftserial (Read 572 times) previous topic - next topic

whatevernot

Hello:

I have the pololu servo controller working with Serial - no issues. I'd like to use NewSoftSerial and use a different pin for output, but no matter what I try, I get the red LED on and flashing green (baud rate too high). Stumped - is there a compatibility issue? I am setting the baud rate to 9600 - same as for Serial.

When using Serial, after some time of no output changes, the yellow light comes on and the servo moves slightly - can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

b...

PaulS

How do you have the controller connected?

What code are you running on the Arduino?

whatevernot

Hello -

I am running version 0020, hooked to a pololu servo controller. Everything works fine when I use Serial but I'm trying to move to SoftwareSerial or NewSoftwareSerial. Using SoftwareSerial, I have added:

Code: [Select]
SoftwareSerial sss = SoftwareSerial(2, 3);

In the setup function:

pinMode(2, INPUT);
pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(3, HIGH);
sss.begin(9600);

And then in the function that outputs the bytes:

for(int i = 0; i < 6; i++)
{
     Serial.print(buff[i], BYTE);
     sss.print(buff[i], BYTE);
}

If I connect the pololu SIN to pin1 (TX) everything is fine. If I change the SIN wire to pin3 (output for sss) then when the arduino powers up, I get the red light and flashing green (before any calls to move the motor - this is just on power up).

I had the same experience with NewSoftwareSerial.

Go Up