Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: nRF24L01 wireless communication  (Read 235 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello All,

I would like to purchase a nRF24L01+PA+LNA (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321145353149), which allows for long range communication (~ 1 km). If I use this as my transmitter, do I also need a nRF24L01+PA+LNA as my receiver, or can I just use the less expensive nRF24L01 (range only 100 m) to receive the signal from the nRF24L01+PA+LNA?

Thank you,

Dustin

Belgium
View Profile

From my experience you will only get a range of 1km with 2 modules with PA+LNA . And you will need to use the slowest speed (250KBPS) and have a line of sight between the 2 modules. There is a reason they are cheap smiley

View Profile

Thanks!

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I would like to purchase a nRF24L01+PA+LNA (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321145353149), which allows for long range communication (~ 1 km). If I use this as my transmitter, do I also need a nRF24L01+PA+LNA as my receiver, or can I just use the less expensive nRF24L01 (range only 100 m) to receive the signal from the nRF24L01+PA+LNA?

If reliability is important then yes. Those devices do handshaking when they send data so communication is <b>always</b> two-way.

You can turn the handshaking off if you don't mind lost data but you probably still need it for anything over 100m. The difference in price is only about $8 so why risk it?

PS: A normal nRF24L01 can only do about 10m, not 100m. I'd be very surprised if one can do 1000m even with an antenna unless you're out in the countryside away from everything electrical and with perfect line of sight (what do you want for $11?)

The only time I wouldn't use an antenna is if the extra weight is critical, range is under 100m and lost data packets don't matter - eg. RC aircraft.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:16:30 am by fungus » Logged

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: