Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to access/trigger specific parts of a single video file? +video hardware?  (Read 5621 times)
I am an artist based in Atlanta GA.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I've spent hours trying to find some starting point for this and don't even know what tree to bark up at.  I am completely new to this but am very interested in learning.

This is a two-parter.  This project I'm working to make includes the ability to 1) activate and interact with an individual video file with Arduino through 2) a hacked video device or (if it would be simpler/more feasible) connecting the Arduino to a raspberry pi and running the video through the pi.

Basically:
1)

I have a single video file that I want to be able to sub-divide or tag into different segments (not separate video files) and then be activated by a separate input coming from an Arduino clone.  Is there a way to code this?  "A" represents a single video file broken into arbitrarily defined blocks (#'s 1-11), and "B" represents potentially tagging by timecode, so that a signal from the Arduino could trigger specific time-code blocks.  

Is either approach feasible or would I absolutely need to have blocks of completely separate video files?  A large part of this project hinges on immediate transitions between non-sequential blocks (say, a seamless jump from #2 to #10 to #5 or 00:15 to 01:10 to 09:12 to 05:34 etc)

And, maybe more pressing/confounding:

2) The Hardware Issue: I've been looking for a simple solid-state digital video player to hold this video information and can be easily hacked to interface with the Arduino and then output to analog video/audio (like a television).  Would it be more straightforward to just connect it to a Raspberry Pi, which has video capabilities?  Is there any cheap hardware that anyone is aware of that is regularly used in connection with Arduino boards or similar hacks?

Thanks so much,
Chris
chrisofchambers.com

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

I have a single video file that I want to be able to sub-divide or tag into different segments (not separate video files) and then be activated by a separate input coming from an Arduino clone.  Is there a way to code this?

An arduino cannot do video processing. It can however synchronize its internal timer with a video and dump time e.g. when a light / color sensor detects a certain value, or a microphone detects an absence of sound for x seconds

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Starting point for this project I would guess, is a raspberry pi with suitable video player software that can be controlled by a (python?) script.

Depending on what type of control inputs you have, you could use the GPIO pins on the Pi or a separate arduino board.

Asking this question on the Pi forum is the best way to do this.

View Profile

I did interact with Arduino any movie using this technique (http://www.dataino.it/videosinc/video.php) through a network interface or serial .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: