Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: uArmⅠ:An open source robot arm  (Read 15971 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

uArmⅠ is a small Palletizing Robot refer to ABB PalletPack IRB 460. You can also use it as a robot arm and make a development of it to make more interesting applications.

In order to make it more flexible and easy driving, I have also designed two kinds of Chassis of the robot arm.
One is a simple 2WD car as you can see in the following picture.

The other one is a 4WD car. I have added 4 Shock Absorbers on it as you can see in the following picture.

So you can install the robot arm on the Chassis and use this platform to do further applications on the ground.
Next, a special gripper for this robot arm is in designing and will be updated soon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:42:02 am by UFactory » Logged

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

How do you get one of the arms?

View Profile

How do you get one of the arms?

Hi PaulS,

I have made the design and used the laser cutter machine to build the arm by myself. And I am making improvement of it now.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

This is a pretty neat little arm; I like the fact that you put most of the servos at the base of the arm, rather than at the joints like you see so often (now, if you could do the same with that last servo - heh)...

I would love to have a copy of the file(s) for laser cutting; I just recently joined my local TechShop (Chandler, Arizona) and finished the SBU for their Universal Laser Systems cutter. I've got lots of ideas for things to build with it, but one more project wouldn't hurt...

Actually - I realize you probably aren't going to give away the files; it sounds like you are starting a business, so I can respect that. One of my future projects for the laser cutter is to actually build a clone Armdroid (well, as close as I can come to one given the information available on it) - but that would be a very complex project, not something I intend to tackle today!

Great job on your robots, though! I think the arm looks best on the 4WD base (seems like it would be more stable with a load, too).

Hmm - how about building a translational (linear movement) base? Such a base movement system is often used in industry for assembly line work and other work where the arm needs to translate linearly along or with the work piece...

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

View Profile

This is a pretty neat little arm; I like the fact that you put most of the servos at the base of the arm, rather than at the joints like you see so often (now, if you could do the same with that last servo - heh)...

I would love to have a copy of the file(s) for laser cutting; I just recently joined my local TechShop (Chandler, Arizona) and finished the SBU for their Universal Laser Systems cutter. I've got lots of ideas for things to build with it, but one more project wouldn't hurt...

Actually - I realize you probably aren't going to give away the files; it sounds like you are starting a business, so I can respect that. One of my future projects for the laser cutter is to actually build a clone Armdroid (well, as close as I can come to one given the information available on it) - but that would be a very complex project, not something I intend to tackle today!

Great job on your robots, though! I think the arm looks best on the 4WD base (seems like it would be more stable with a load, too).

Hmm - how about building a translational (linear movement) base? Such a base movement system is often used in industry for assembly line work and other work where the arm needs to translate linearly along or with the work piece...

Hi cr0sh,

Thanks for your suggestions. We are now make an improvement of this robot arm and your suggestions are quite helpful for us.

As we call this open source robot arm. So of course we will make it open and release both the design of the mechanical and electronic with the final source files after we finish this project.

If you want to build one by yourself, we can send you the files after we finish the project. So that more and more people can join us to make a better robot arm and further applications for this.

Thanks for your suggestions again.

View Profile

We have made the second version of uArmⅠ. In this version, you can change the head of the arm, so the fourth servo on the head of the arm can face down and forward by different install ways. A special robot gripper is in designing.  See more details below.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:03:48 am by UFactory » Logged

View Profile

Here is the design which I refer to, the World's Fastest Palletising Robot - ABB IRB 460.

View Profile

The acrylic parts of new version of uArmⅠ v1.1 is arriving now.

View Profile

From now on, there are two kinds of choices for the head of the robot arm.
One is a sucker and the other is a servo for installing robot gripper on it. You can see two of them in the following picture.

On the other hand, there are also two ways to install the head to the robot arm. One is to face down and the other is to face forward. The following picture shows the parts for different install ways.

Install the sucker to the head of the robot arm.

Install the servo motor to the head of the robot arm.

The second way for installing.

Johannesburg UTC+2
Faraday Member
View Profile

As we call this open source robot arm. So of course we will make it open and release both the design of the mechanical and electronic with the final source files after we finish this project.

Excellent... thank you.

Have you looked for answers in the Learning, Reference, Products and Playground tabs on http://arduino.cc/en/ ?
Look here http://electronicsclub.info/ for basic electronics

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Not sure where you are storing your pictures, but they are not downloading for me using IE,  I just get an X displayed. I like the design of keeping the servos off of the arm as much as possible.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

laval, france
grand débutant sur arduino
View Profile

Very attractive work, sincerely.

The fact of keeping servomotors in the base allows to limit the efforts on each, it is very ingenious.

il n'y a pas d'âge pour apprendre

View Profile

Not sure where you are storing your pictures, but they are not downloading for me using IE,  I just get an X displayed. I like the design of keeping the servos off of the arm as much as possible.

We are so glad that you like our design, we are making a development of this robot arm and will make an update soon.

View Profile

Very attractive work, sincerely.

The fact of keeping servomotors in the base allows to limit the efforts on each, it is very ingenious.

smiley  We are making an improvement now. Will make an update soon.

View Profile

The second test of uArmⅠ, in this version we add 4 suckers on the chassis of the arm to  mount it on smooth surface.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Jump to: