Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Disc Segmentation  (Read 429 times)
Grenoble/Lyon - France
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi there.

I have a project which involve using 64n white leds scattered evenly across a disc. I'm planning on using 1206 SMD package leds, on a 10cm diameter disc, with a max7221 for controlling the leds. I have a little geometric problem though.
How can I find the right position for each led so that I can have a even distribution which will lead to an even illumination of the disc once I'll put the diffuser material on top of it ?

Is there a mathematical formula for dividing a circle in n squar-ish chunks of approximately equal area ?

Thanks for your help ^^

melka

God Member
View Profile

I'm sure there is a mathematical way to lay it out, and it's probably not that hard. But I am super lazy, and I would just get my CAD program to fill the space equally. Let me know if you want me to do it for you.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:50:54 pm by trialex » Logged

Grenoble/Lyon - France
View Profile

Thanks trialex. What CAD software do you use ? If it's eagle, proteus or SolidWorks, I think I can do it myself, but in this case, I'd really like you to help me, never found the command for scattering objects ^^

(I guess I'll try with 3D Studio max, I think I saw an option I can use...)

God Member
View Profile

I use Pro/E, but anything Pro/E can do Solidworks should be able to do something similar - look for a "fill" or "autofill" command

Grenoble/Lyon - France
View Profile

Ok, Pro/E is a bit too complex for me ^^ I'll try that under solidworks. Thanks a lot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: