Go Down

Topic: Concerning electronic ics (Read 543 times) previous topic - next topic

jonhatespizza

From what I understand arduino is a programmable control module with rewritable ss memory. What do you call the family of ics that are  used in common day electronics from your average calculator to a tomagachi game?

jackrae

fungus

From what I understand arduino is a programmable control module with rewritable ss memory. What do you call the family of ics that are  used in common day electronics from your average calculator to a tomagachi game?

Programmable control modules, with rewritable ss memory.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Jack Christensen

There's not a single answer to this question. MCUs, MPUs, ASICs, FPGAs, SoC are all common and there is a fair amount of overlap between them, so there could be more than one good answer even for a single application.

Why do you ask?
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

polymorph

Jack has the most correct answer, IMHO.

What do you mean by "ss memory"?
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer
Please don't read your attitudes into my messages

fungus

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

polymorph

Steve Greenfield AE7HD

Grumpy_Mike

fungus

What, as opposed to tubes?

My memory's not what it used to be but I think the early tamogotchis had hard disks in them.

polymorph

That's solid. :'P

So, Flash or EEPROM.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD

pbrouwer

What, as opposed to tubes?

My memory's not what it used to be but I think the early tamogotchis had hard disks in them.

I thought there was punchcards in them things...

polymorph

Steve Greenfield AE7HD

majenko

I call those COBs.  Chip On Board.  Typically they are a custom die which is mounted direct on the PCB then covered in black epoxy (or whatever that black stuff is).  There is absolutely nothing "generic" about them - each one is custom designed and manufactured in their hundreds of thousands (or millions) for the one specific bulk job.

The chip fabricator may build the design up out of various modular blocks, but the resultant chip is custom and cannot really be used for anything else.
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Go Up