Go Down

Topic: Flickering on LED Array (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

sealemar

Please, check this video on YouTube.

I have an LED Array powered by Arduino.
The code blinks only the first column. Notice how the other two columns on the right have flickering LEDs on the same two rows with the first column. If an LED is not on the same row with the blinking column, no flickering is noticeable. Counting rows from the bottom - in the first column the blinking rows are 3 and 4, and the same rows in the second and the third column have flickering when the first column blinks, but row #2 in the second column and row #1 in the third column doesn't have that flickering.

How can I eliminate that flickering?

CrossRoads

Post your code & schematic to start.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

sealemar

Please, before I do that, let me put the question differently: is it true, that the more LEDs in a row you have in ON state the dimmer each one of those ON in the row will be?

arduinodlb

Please, before I do that, let me put the question differently: is it true, that the more LEDs in a row you have in ON state the dimmer each one of those ON in the row will be?

In depends completely on how you are doing things.

We really can't help you without a lot more information. Start with the code and the schematics, and it'll save us all a lot of time.
Do not IM me. I will not respond. Ask questions in the forum.

Paul__B

I notice various resistors on the breadboard, but none clearly connected to the display in operation.

Unless you are using a MAX7219 or similar purpose-designed driver chip - and I am pretty sure you are not - you must have resistors for whichever of the rows or columns that are being driven simultaneously whilst the other dimension is selected, otherwise you will be overloading the Arduino even more dangerously than you probably need to be to cause this effect.

If you have removed resistors in an attempt to increase the brightness, you have completely misunderstood the need for buffer transistors in the dimension opposite to where the resistors must be.

Go get a MAX7219 and learn how to use it.  :D  Seriously, this is the only sensible and dead easy way to drive a small number of these matrices.

Go Up