Go Down

Topic: Invalid operands of types... (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Kalveo

RadioReceiverPCB_with_MPU_6050.ino: In function 'void ComplementaryFilter(float*, uint16_t, float, long unsigned int)':
RadioReceiverPCB_with_MPU_6050:378: error: invalid operands of types 'double' and 'float*' to binary 'operator*'

Code: [Select]
void ComplementaryFilter(float *newAngle, uint16_t newRate, float accAngle, unsigned long looptime){
  float dt = looptime / 1000.0;

*newAngle += (float)(newRate / 131) * dt;
  *newAngle = (float)(0.95 * newAngle) + (0.05 * accAngle);
}

I don't see why?

AWOL

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Graynomad

newAngle is a pointer. A pointer multiplied by  0.95 is an interesting concept but but not very useful :)

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Kalveo

Ohh... Missed that :p

Thanks for the help :)

KeithRB

This is an interesting case of parsing. since the *newAngle would make sense, it could also have complained about a missing operator.

PeterH

A pointer multiplied by  0.95 is an interesting concept but but not very useful :)

Might come in handy if you wanted a rounded-off pointer. Less pointy and more blunty.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

MarkT

This is an interesting case of parsing. since the *newAngle would make sense, it could also have complained about a missing operator.

Nothing special with parsing a * *b, just like a - -b

Perhaps the routine meant to take a float reference rather than  a pointer:
Code: [Select]
void ComplementaryFilter(float &newAngle, uint16_t newRate, float accAngle, unsigned long looptime){

You only need the generality of pointers when its an array or buffer that you are
going to index, reference types are cleaner for pass-by-reference use-cases (unsurprisingly)
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

KeithRB

No but if you have a*b where b is a pointer, you can choose between two errors. Either an invalid type for multiplication, or a missing operator between two compatible types.

Graynomad

Less pointy and more blunty.

Good for fuzzy-logic algorithms as well, to get a value that roughly correct from an array.

_______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy