Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: WAR on drugs.  (Read 2161 times)
Norfolk UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Get rid of the dealers and they will quickly be replaced by other dealers. You need to get rid of the users and make the taking of drugs a possible life ending experience by spiking supplies with some accumulative poison.

How would you get it into the supply though ?
Cant see the distribution chain cooperating much.
Instead of seizing shipments that are found being smuggled into the country dope them and let them through as if you never detected them.

There is no such thing as a stupid question but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Get rid of the dealers and they will quickly be replaced by other dealers. You need to get rid of the users and make the taking of drugs a possible life ending experience by spiking supplies with some accumulative poison.

How would you get it into the supply though ?
Cant see the distribution chain cooperating much.
Instead of seizing shipments that are found being smuggled into the country dope them and let them through as if you never detected them.

I suspect that this would be illegal in most all western democracies and most likely you don't really believe it is a viable option?  However strict enforcement does work pretty well in some countries. Singapore I believe allows for caning and very long prison sentences.

If it was a simple problem with simple solutions then it would have been solved centuries ago.

God Member
View Profile

Another thing that annoys. Is the  total misuse of war to describe the problem.
We use various forms of control and deterrence which plain dont work.
In a true war they would be shot and unable to continue.

I dont particularly care if someone wants to poison themselves , but when they resort to criminal activity to feed their habit , i favor the old ways , lash the users and string up the dealers.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

The war on drugs has been a colossal waste of money (essentially a bad joke perpetrated on the U.S. electorate for several decades)....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/annabelle-buggle/after-40year-fight-illici_b_3623714.html

The second and third sentences have always been true...
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/frequently-asked-questions/drug-addiction-treatment-worth-its-cost
Quoted here for your convenience...
Drug addiction treatment has been shown to reduce associated  health and social costs by far more than the cost of the treatment itself. Treatment is also much less expensive than its alternatives, such as incarcerating addicted persons.

The solution is simple.  Violent offenders go to prison then rehab.  Non-violent offenders go to rehab.  Those who fail rehab go to prison.  A good example... http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/july-dec13/hawaiihope_11-24.html

God Member
View Profile

We have a similar bunch of comedians running my country.

Freind of mine used to work in rehab, had to retire early.

Those who fail rehab go to prison.

This may work in the US where jail is real and possibly a deterrent.

Over here its a total joke.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

if we're going to have a "war on drugs", i'd like to see it adhere to the articles of war. See a drug dealer on the street? That's an enemy combatant, shoot on sight.
Ah; like they're doing in Mexico?  It doesn't seem to be working real well, and ... the casualty numbers are look pretty much like a real war as well: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2011/06/mexico-war-dead-update-figures-40000.html

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: