Go Down

Topic: Improvements in "Project 03 - Love-o-meter" - Code-Description (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hello,

a few days ago I got my Starter Kit and began with the first projects. Unfortunately I think there are two passages in the code which I would explain in a different way.

The first passage is a little mistake in the conversion of sensorVal into voltage:
Code: [Select]

// original code
float voltage = (sensorVal/1024.0) * 5.0;
// my code
float voltage = (sensorVal/1023.0) * 5.0;

I changed 1024 into 1023 because the description of the Analog-to-Digital-Converter (ADC) (page 43) says: "...Analog in pins A0-A5 can report back a value between 0-1023, which maps to a range from 0 volts to 5 volts. ..." So the maximum ADC value is 1023 and 1023/1023*5=5V.

The second passage is the conversion of voltage into temperature:
Code: [Select]

// original code
float temperature = (voltage - .5) * 100;
// my code
float temperature = (voltage - .75) * 100 + 25;

The description of the TMP36-sensor says (http://arduino.cc/documents/datasheets/TEMP-TMP35_36_37.pdf):
"...The TMP36 is specified from ?40°C to +125°C, provides a 750 mV output at 25°C, and operates to 125°C from a single 2.7 V supply. The TMP36 is functionally compatible with the LM50. Both the TMP35 and TMP36 have an output scale factor of 10 mV/°C. ..."
That means: 0.75V=25°C, 0.76V=26°C, 0.77V=27°C, ...
In my calculation I do exactly what is described in the datasheet of the sensor. The solution is the same. So it's ok but I think in a book for newbies the equations should be comprehensible.

Maybe somebody can improve it in a next edition of the book.

AWOL

The first passage is a little mistake in the conversion of sensorVal into voltage:

Nope, sorry, don't see the mistake there.
Imagine you had a one bit converter, instead of a ten bit converter.
If it reads zero, that could be interpreted as zero volts.
But what would a reading of one signify?
(No points for answering "five volts")
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy