Go Down

Topic: Through Hole PCB - Traces? (Read 485 times) previous topic - next topic

tocpcs

I've got a through hole PCB (one of them that has millions of prepunched holes). I've used them before with typical jumper wire to move off the breadboard.

I've got a problem - MOSFET on one of these PCBs, they typically require more current than a bit of CAT5 cable will accomodate.
Any thoughts?

Grumpy_Mike

Go over the traces with tinned copper wire to reinforce them.

l_dowell

If you feel you need more than just tinning them as suggested by Mike, you could do one of two things. Either lay a piece of uninsulated (solid) wire on the pcb that follows the trace and solder it in place, or use a piece of insulated wire and solder it so it's ends join the devices that source and sink the current you want handled.

Lyle

johnwasser

I've got a problem - MOSFET on one of these PCBs, they typically require more current than a bit of CAT5 cable will accomodate.
Any thoughts?

Use heavier wire.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

MarkT

For really heavy current you use the PCB just as a convenient substrate to solder
both the component and its wire to, rather then push current through 35um thick
copper foil!   You can have the wire go through holes next to the component and bend
the strands over to meet the component's lead and solder them together.  The board
keeps leads apart and provides mechanical support only.

There are online trace-width calculators that can help you decide.  Remember heat
goes up as the square of current so a doubling of current is 4 times the temperature
rise.  10A is a lot different from 5A, for instance.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

fungus

Sending it through a PCB is pointless.

Add some thick wire directly from the MOSFET to wherever it needs to go.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

MarkT

Sending it through a PCB is pointless.

Add some thick wire directly from the MOSFET to wherever it needs to go.

You forget that the gate drive signal isn't high current and can be routed on the PCB
even if the source/drain circuit can't be.  PCBs make everything neat and putting a wire
through a hole before soldering really reduces the risk of a dry solder joint as there
is proper mechanical support as the solder solidifies.  And lastly you can put print
or writing on the PCB to document it.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

tocpcs

Ahhh, I was aiming for terminals - I suppose I still can, just take the lead of the MOSFET to the terminals..

Thanks for the ideas! I'll some thick insulated copper wire to go to the terminals, and solder to the board for mechanical support.

Go Up