Go Down

Topic: What do you call a citizen of the United States of America? (Read 3891 times) previous topic - next topic

Nick Gammon

I know the obvious answer is "an American" but that isn't quite right, is it?

For a start, the continent of (North) America includes Canada, and "American" might refer to someone from South America (or Mexico). Plus people from Hawaii are hardly "American".

So, is there a word (eg. French, Spanish, Italian) that means "a citizen of the United States of America" (including Alaska, Hawaii etc.)?
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Coding Badly

I know the obvious answer is "an American" but that isn't quite right, is it?

Oh, but it is...
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2110.html#us

Coding Badly

Except Texas citizens who may someday no longer enjoy the "American" moniker...
https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+secede
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_secession_movements

]:D

AWOL

Oh, but it is...
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2110.html#us

More CIA misinformation  :smiley-yell:
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

liudr

[Steer away if you can't take a joke]
I have always wondered about this. Overblown ego or lack of better words? They didn't grow out of tribes for sure and had no tribal names. I opt for citizens of USA if I want to be unambiguous and not bother with their egos. In fact, they should probably consider "New Chinese". It means the citizens of the center of the new world  ;) , geographically a bit off to the north but politically, economically, technologically and militarily quite accurate. FYI, there are ancient tribal names for "China" still in regular use but "center of the world" sounds quite egocentric and dark age. Sound more stupid each time I think of it. So pad in the back Americans, there are worse country and countryman names out there  8)

Wait till you see how they will name cities/states on Mars and the Earth Moon. Is there a formal name of our sun, cause every solar system has a sun or more?

AWOL

cause every solar system has a sun or more?

Yes, they have a sun, but not The Sun
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Simpson_Jr

Dec 27, 2013, 03:41 pm Last Edit: Dec 27, 2013, 03:44 pm by Simpson_Jr Reason: 1
I prefer earth-dweller.   :P

It saves me a lot of time keeping track of changing borders in a lot of countries and it's true except for a few astronauts.

CrossRoads

Maybe "earth-originator" then. Until we get off-planet babies anyway.

American is fine by me.  I don't think the Canadians, Mexicans, Hondurans, Brazilians, Argentinians and others will mind. Especially at World Cup time.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

leo72

We, in Italy, usually use the therm "Americani" (Americans) to mean "citizens of USA".
A more correct therm is "Statunitensi", a neologism made by the union of the words "Stati" (states) and "Uniti" (united), that means citizen of United Stated (of America).

retrolefty

cause every solar system has a sun or more?

Yes, they have a sun, but not The Sun

Well I would go with, every solar system has a star(s). But then again I'm a hardware type.

The name Sun is surely someone's Trademark?

leo72

Is there a formal name of our sun, cause every solar system has a sun or more?

Sun with the capital "S" is the formal name of our star. Another name, sometimes used in sci-fi, is "Sol": it's the latin name of the Sun, used in other languages too.

retrolefty

Is there a formal name of our sun, cause every solar system has a sun or more?

Sun with the capital "S" is the formal name of our star. Another name, sometimes used in sci-fi, is "Sol": it's the latin name of the Sun, used in other languages too.

Yep. And many other stars have formal names, but I've never heard of one named sun or Sun or Sol except the star at the center of our solar system.

CrossRoads

Well, we'll have to wait for some of the extra-terrestrials to pipe in & see how our sun is referenced outside of our Solar System.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

wizdum

Would 'Yankee' offend?

Depends on who you direct it at. Yankee generally refers to people in the northeasern US, people from the south tend to take offense.

I see it as a shortening of "The United States of America". You can't say USian, or United Statesian, so it becomes "American", the suffix of the full country name. People generally don't refer to themselves by the continent they live on, since its way too generic. You might as well just say "Earthling".

Another way to look at it is through the intentions of founders. The US was created as a conglomeration of individual state governments (much like the UK or EU, really), we are citizens of our states, rather than the country.
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Go Up