Go Down

Topic: whats with the attitude (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic

polymorph

I don't think anyone here helps "grudgingly". After all, we aren't being paid.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer
Please don't read your attitudes into my messages

UnoDueTre

As regards the "witty curmudgeon", I can understand how he could irritate some folk, but I for one read as many of his answers as possible for two reasons:

1) They are generally very witty.
2) A lot can be learnt from them.

I have never been on the receiving end of one of his "lashings", but if I were, instead of getting all bent out of shape about it, would rather ponder as to why and learn something from the process.
As has been mentioned before, his karma count, no matter how flawed the karma system may be, speaks volumes about his helpfulness and knowledge.

cr0sh

Perhaps the forum needs a Karma Down option....

When the forum switched from the old system to the new system, this was tried - it didn't end well, which is why it was disabled.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

westfw

Q: How many group posters does it take to change a light bulb?

A:

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

JimboZA

You mean nobody posted to ask for a schematic of the lightbulb in question?

Roy from ITCrowd: Have you tried turning it off an on again?
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

cjdelphi

Hell yeah, schematic or the light bulb does not exist  :D

UnoDueTre

@westfw

You forgot:

2 to write a lengthy explanation as to why the OP should be using LEDs rather than lamps/bulbs which will never require changing.

:)

SirNickity

@westfw

You forgot:

2 to write a lengthy explanation as to why the OP should be using LEDs rather than lamps/bulbs which will never require changing.

:)

+1.

(heh.)

TomGeorge

Hi,could you post a picture of  your lamp changing project, and a CAD or picture of a hand drawn circuit, thanks .
Also any occupational hazard and safety issues.
Environmental Impact Statement.(theres an old term)

There happy..LOL...
Tom...... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

SargentSeven

Although part of this post was in fact inspired by my recent interaction with a mod, I wasn't referring to it as an example. I got my answers and did an independent study on the matter. to which I found the solution was as simple as adding a diode to prevent any current leakage. I was half correct and so was the moderator. I'll be posting there shortly when I gather all the proof, since I know people will want to see it.

As for Grumpy Mike trying to prove a point by searching for the mentioned post that was used as an example. That post more then likely had been cleaned. which would explain why it is not searchable. I'll admit that when things do get shaky in a thread there are mods who can be quick to prune back the unwanted stuff. Also, no need to be so defensive.

In hind site, i guess this forum acts more like a 3rd party fan site forum rather then a company support forum in that most helpers are not paid representatives of the manufacturer. I was holding my expectations to that level to begin with since this is arduino.cc

I personally use a lot of patience and tact when I'm dealing with things from a help desk perspective since I worked in the IT field for 2 years before moving into networking and electrical. I do not have any respect for name calling though and that usually is a trigger for me, I have no problem dragging someone down a few pegs for that. 
Motivation comes in the form of knowing the wife is going to hurt me if I don't follow through with my projects after spending our entertainment budget on parts. XD

JimboZA

In hind site sight  8), i guess this forum acts more like a 3rd party fan site forum rather then a company support forum

I'd go for:

this forum acts more like is a 3rd party fan site forum rather then a company support forum
Roy from ITCrowd: Have you tried turning it off an on again?
I'm on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimbrownza

Grumpy_Mike

What might be confusing is that at the moment the link to the forum is off the support tab. This has been acknowledged as a mistake and we are told it will be corrected "soon".

Mind you soon is not so short as to allow you to hold your breath, more like a baby is due soon after conception.

Jantje

Mind you soon is not so short as to allow you to hold your breath, more like a baby is due soon after conception.

Elephant baby that is.
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

cr0sh

Elephant baby that is.

Given some of the long-standing "bugs" in the docs and other areas of the site, that have been here at least as long as I've been around here...

...let's call it what it is - a "lithopedion" whose "birth" may or may not ever happen...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

mixographer

I remember the original thread when it was first posted. The only name-calling I saw was when the OP called someone who was trying to answer the question a d-bag, and told them to leave the forum. That looked like attitude.

Go Up