Go Down

Topic: Arduino digital out --> audio interface digital in (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

warp

hi there,

Anyone tried to send data from the arduino's digital inputs to the digital input (coaxial) of an audio interface. As serial communication seems a bit 'slow' I assume this would be the best solution to improve speed.

I assume this is possible but I can't tell for sure. Anyone more experienced here?

thanks
warp

MikMo

Nov 07, 2007, 12:59 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2007, 01:00 pm by MikMo Reason: 1
Do you mean sending from more than one digital out on one Arduini to more than one digital in's on another Arduino ?

warp

no, basically i mean :

Arduino digital out (only one, say pin10) ------> Audio's interface digital Input (say M-Audio, MOTU, etc.)

am I too ambitious?? :)

Cheater

Digital I/O is slower than serial.
115200 bytes/s too slow for you?

warp

"Digital I/O is slower than serial. "

haven't realised that. I's just wondering if you can build with Arduino something similar to Teabox from Electrotap http://www.electrotap.com/teabox/  but nevermind.

thanks

MikMo

Nov 07, 2007, 09:38 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2007, 09:46 pm by MikMo Reason: 1
no, basically i mean :

Arduino digital out (only one, say pin10) ------> Audio's interface digital Input (say M-Audio, MOTU, etc.)

am I too ambitious?? :)

Sorry -  i didn't read your post properly i misread audio as arduino.

I never heard of that box, it looks cool.

I have made at small test just recently to see how fast i could read controls and send info to my PC. It is no problem to read 16 potentiometers every 10ms (on 2 4051 multiplexer IC's) and send the info to the PC . this wors ok at serial speed of 19200, so i think quite a lot can be done with the Arduino as it is.

grapewizardusa

an audio interface's coaxial in is used for audio; the teabox reads sensor data and converts it to midi-- if that's all you're looking to do, this is totally possible with an arduino. check out todbot's midi tutorial in the playground.

Daniel

Nov 08, 2007, 11:33 am Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 11:33 am by Daniel Reason: 1
I think the OP is looking for something faster than midi; if you look at the Teabox page, they compare midi's max update rate (25ms) to the Teabox (.25ms).

Judging from that page, I would say that Arduino is not going to go as fast as the OP would like. They're probably using a 1.5MB+ USB connection on the Teabox, which is very fast compared to Arduino.

Go Up