Go Down

Topic: Arduino digital out --> audio interface digital in (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

warp

hi there,

Anyone tried to send data from the arduino's digital inputs to the digital input (coaxial) of an audio interface. As serial communication seems a bit 'slow' I assume this would be the best solution to improve speed.

I assume this is possible but I can't tell for sure. Anyone more experienced here?

thanks
warp

MikMo

Nov 07, 2007, 12:59 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2007, 01:00 pm by MikMo Reason: 1
Do you mean sending from more than one digital out on one Arduini to more than one digital in's on another Arduino ?

warp

no, basically i mean :

Arduino digital out (only one, say pin10) ------> Audio's interface digital Input (say M-Audio, MOTU, etc.)

am I too ambitious?? :)

Cheater

Digital I/O is slower than serial.
115200 bytes/s too slow for you?

warp

"Digital I/O is slower than serial. "

haven't realised that. I's just wondering if you can build with Arduino something similar to Teabox from Electrotap http://www.electrotap.com/teabox/  but nevermind.

thanks

MikMo

Nov 07, 2007, 09:38 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2007, 09:46 pm by MikMo Reason: 1
no, basically i mean :

Arduino digital out (only one, say pin10) ------> Audio's interface digital Input (say M-Audio, MOTU, etc.)

am I too ambitious?? :)

Sorry -  i didn't read your post properly i misread audio as arduino.

I never heard of that box, it looks cool.

I have made at small test just recently to see how fast i could read controls and send info to my PC. It is no problem to read 16 potentiometers every 10ms (on 2 4051 multiplexer IC's) and send the info to the PC . this wors ok at serial speed of 19200, so i think quite a lot can be done with the Arduino as it is.

grapewizardusa

an audio interface's coaxial in is used for audio; the teabox reads sensor data and converts it to midi-- if that's all you're looking to do, this is totally possible with an arduino. check out todbot's midi tutorial in the playground.

Daniel

Nov 08, 2007, 11:33 am Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007, 11:33 am by Daniel Reason: 1
I think the OP is looking for something faster than midi; if you look at the Teabox page, they compare midi's max update rate (25ms) to the Teabox (.25ms).

Judging from that page, I would say that Arduino is not going to go as fast as the OP would like. They're probably using a 1.5MB+ USB connection on the Teabox, which is very fast compared to Arduino.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy