Go Down

Topic: Can I connect a toy's speaker output to some USB speakers? (Read 345 times) previous topic - next topic

BackWoodsBrewer

I apologize if this isn't the proper sub-forum.

I have a toy with a little .5W 8 Ohm speaker, it also has a variable resistor to control the volume.  Could I safely connect the speaker output to the input of some USB speakers?  Basically using the toy's speaker output as a pre-amp?

I'm really not concerned with damaging the USB speakers, I just do not want to damage the toy.

MarkT

Definitely not USB speakers, you need something with an analog audio input.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

jackrae

what are USB speakers ?   More info required regarding toy and "USB speakers"

BackWoodsBrewer

I guess I should have said, USB powered speakers.  The ones I want to test with use a USB port just for 5v power, they have a male 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack that plugs into a pc's speaker out.  I wanted to test powering the speakers with 5v, and connecting the toy's speaker output to the audio jack.

Thought I would come here for expert advice though, I do not want to risk damaging the toy.

Grumpy_Mike

I guess I should have said, USB powered speakers. 

In that case yes they are just like any other speaker / amplifier combination.

CrossRoads

USB generally limited to 500mA, so 2.5W max output.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy