Go Down

Topic: Project Management Software? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

wizdum

I have finally reached the stage in my "business" where I need some sort of assistance with project management. Does anyone have any recommendations for software or systems for organization of  projects? I basically just need a nice interface where I can store project descriptions, files, dates, and customer info, with a "overview" that lists the project dates and status'. I'm not working on anything large enough to warrant something like Microsoft Project Pro...yet.

Presently i'm just using folders on a NAS with index files that describe the folder's contents. It works for organization, but lacks the "overview" aspect.
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

NI$HANT

I just do all that in a google doc
"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
- <a href="http://www.winacro.com">  <b><font color="red">Website</font></b> </a> 

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

wizdum

I just do all that in a google doc

Thats basically what i'm doing now. It works well, its just hard to keep track of project timetables without going and checking each project manually.

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

NI$HANT

its just hard to keep track of project timetables without going and checking each project manually.

Why dont you simply make a php page that cares for the deadline or other timeline state of your projects and then send message to your arduino using HTTP Requests and then display the prompts! over a LCD screen?
- <a href="http://www.winacro.com">  <b><font color="red">Website</font></b> </a> 

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

robtillaart

I know people for which Excel is the holy grail of Proj. mgmt.
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

liudr

I do a simple work log on excel with time and dates that I work on the project and what I worked on, version of software, circuit board etc. I can't keep track of every aspect of a project. I have to review them if I work on them after not working on them for a while. I also keep a pin usage list in excel detailing which pin is used for what. The PC folder structure serves as my organizer. I also have printouts of things I consider important (say client sent in a description of diagram and I print and date) or convenient to have on paper, in a hanging folder. I don't know how formal you want to go. The more you organize, the more you waste time organizing :)

I also use a lot of boxes. I have boxes for each project, different size "Really useful boxes". I keep stuff I received for each job until the client asks them back. They usually don't, cause they keep coming back for updates and upgrades ;) .

So far it's kept my sanity and I didn't trip over too much stuff laying around. I also recently invested a bit on decent tools. Must have if you are ramping up your business. Can't be held back by cheap tools if others depend on your work.

wizdum

I do a simple work log on excel with time and dates that I work on the project and what I worked on, version of software, circuit board etc. I can't keep track of every aspect of a project. I have to review them if I work on them after not working on them for a while. I also keep a pin usage list in excel detailing which pin is used for what. The PC folder structure serves as my organizer. I also have printouts of things I consider important (say client sent in a description of diagram and I print and date) or convenient to have on paper, in a hanging folder. I don't know how formal you want to go. The more you organize, the more you waste time organizing :)

I also use a lot of boxes. I have boxes for each project, different size "Really useful boxes". I keep stuff I received for each job until the client asks them back. They usually don't, cause they keep coming back for updates and upgrades ;) .

So far it's kept my sanity and I didn't trip over too much stuff laying around. I also recently invested a bit on decent tools. Must have if you are ramping up your business. Can't be held back by cheap tools if others depend on your work.

This may work. I could keep a spreadsheet of active projects, that includes things like hours, delivery dates, costs, etc, and then just use the folder structure for storing files. I have taken a couple project management classes in college, so I am very familiar with the "The more you organize, the more you waste time organizing". Spend 4 hours filling out gantt charts, making reports, and doing calculations, all on 3 hours of work.

I also have the boxes of parts from clients. That was my first surprise. Customers spend all this money sending me this stuff, and none of them want it back.

liudr

Non-chargeable hours :( All the time generating quotes, logging hours, reading and replying emails, backing up files, just for a few hours of pay. Yep, that sounds all too familiar :)

Trust me, if you're good, which I think you are, they come with cash and keep paying for your work. There are so many not-so-good engineers and programmers out there. We wouldn't have these jobs if all engineers/programmers are worth their titles ;)

twinmark

Have you tried Proofhub. It is super simple, easy to use and feature rich project management software.  It has a simple interface and users do not face any difficulty in using it. No training sessions needed for its use. Tasks can be better described, assigned, executed, tracked and controlled. With this tool, you can easily assign tasks, track the progress of your projects, collaborate with your clients and team members, share files and documents and much more.
Check out http://www.proofhub.com/

CrossRoads

MS Project for creating timelines, assigning hours to tasks, roll up projects into single lines, expand out. Create a generic project with your typical tasks, then copy it and tailor appropriately with special subtasks.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

wizdum

MS Project for creating timelines, assigning hours to tasks, roll up projects into single lines, expand out. Create a generic project with your typical tasks, then copy it and tailor appropriately with special subtasks.

That sounds like a good way to save some time, and I do have all these ms project licenses.....

Right now i'm using a three-part system. I have a time tracker, a calendar, and a task list with links to the project directory. I might have to link them together eventually.

NI$HANT

Whats this MS project? (MicroSoft Project!?? some sort of a app like excell, access or word?)

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

CrossRoads

Yes Nishant. It's a program like Word, Excel, and Access.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up