Go Down

Topic: 30W 42V LED Driver w/ Dimming by Arduino (Read 515 times) previous topic - next topic

phinsil6

Hello!

I am trying to wrap my head around LED lighting and have done a good amount of research into LEDEngin's LED emitter modules.  I have my eye on the 30W emitter but this has a forward voltage of 42V (here it is http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/LED-Engin/LZC-C0WW00/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83yxmdW0DL2XhYFIkVLBVIvVQ%3d).  What are my options for powering such a device?  Part of the requirement though is being able to dim the LED from an arduino via PWM.  I have plenty of power at the 12V range but it seems getting this up to the 42V level would be quite challenging and/or expensive.  And since this is supposed to be something where there is supposed to be many around the house, price is a considerable factor.

Thanks for all replies!

Riva

Jan 18, 2014, 09:53 am Last Edit: Feb 13, 2014, 08:14 am by Riva Reason: 1
Have you seen how bright 30W is? Maybe something a little smaller (and less voltage) would do. Also you will need a good heatsink on the back of the LED to stop it from frying itself. A cheaper option may be to use off the shelf units like this paired with a suitable LED dimmer PSU.

Grumpy_Mike

Personally I would forget it. That is not the sort if LED you can power by just knocking up something on bread board. Those circuits just posted will only run stable on a properly designed PCB and are not sutiable for PWM anyway.
I think you need to know a lot more than you do now to tackle that problem.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy