Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino IDE don't warn u save file while close,I lost 3 hours work without save  (Read 2829 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I feel the Arduino IDE like a liar, It's interface alway show your new-version code ,and write new-version code  to board, but don't save a bit in hard drive. If u close it, there is no warning to tell your save your work.
       It is a so easy to add a function to remind users save work. I think I'm not the only one who has this trouble.

Lacey, Washington, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

I save often. It is a habit you need to get into.

I agree that it should warn you when closing the program if you have not saved since you've made a change since the last save. But working for 3 hours without saving once, you could have lost everything to a power glitch or computer crash.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD
CET Consumer Electronics and Computer
Please don't read your attitudes into my messages

North Queensland, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

if you use windows, look in your temp folder, a copy of your code is most probably there ( mine stay after the IDE closes ).
It will just have a few additions by the IDE.

My temp folder Arduino uses is: C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\
sort your temp folder by date and find the latest folder that is named like: build1341542768814376187.tmp
you should find a file named similar to: sketch_jan21a.cpp, rename yours to .ino and you are back in business.

This of course will only work if you have compiled the sketch ( verified or uploaded )
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:04:05 am by pYro_65 » Logged

East Anglia (UK)
Faraday Member
May all of your blinks be without delay()
View Profile

My version of the IDE (1.0.5 on Windows) warns if you try to close the IDE without saving
What version/OS are you using ?

Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

North Queensland, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

mine too, versions 1.0.5 & 1.5.2

Victoria, Australia
Edison Member
Electronics Engineer/Industrial Control
View Profile

HI, I never rely on the app asking if you want to save on exit.
As I write my sketch I save regularly and change names as I advance, 
ie.

sketch1_0
sketch1_1
sketch1_2
that way if anything crashes I have at least a recent copy to go back to.

Three hours programming phew....... smiley-cry

Tom..... smiley (Save often...)

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I hit ^S all the time, no matter what program I'm using. I also run FileHamster in the background, that creates an archive every time you save a file it's monitoring.

While I admit that not warning the user of changes is very bad practice, so is working tor 3 hours without saving, your computer could have crashed at any time. Lesson learned eh?

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

I overwrote 6 hours worth of program with the "build" file that would have compiled it, having impatiently answered the "do you really want to do this" confirmation without actually READING it till it was too late...

Denmark
View Profile

I feel the Arduino IDE like a liar, It's interface alway show your new-version code ,and write new-version code  to board, but don't save a bit in hard drive. If u close it, there is no warning to tell your save your work.
       It is a so easy to add a function to remind users save work. I think I'm not the only one who has this trouble.

I use version 1.05
It asks me politely if I want to save before closing.

You should look at the bright side of it.

A lot of people could have been telling you to "save your work with regular intervals" for far longer than three hours. And you probably would not do it anyway.

Now you have learned something, and you will remember it.
Learning something that will do you good in the years to come, is a very valuable thing.

If you have a new version of the IDE, it probably asked you, and then you have also learned to be aware of, what your software is trying to tell you.

...... And should you learn to spell "you" with three letters (YOU), you will have learned three things today, and you have achieved something marvelous!

(And if you are using an old version of the IDE, "It is not that bad to keep my software up to date" is the fourth valuable lesson)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:40:40 am by Peter_I » Logged

Bob Pease: "My favorite programming language is ... solder."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: