Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cool new case/enclosure for Arduino Uno  (Read 3677 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Designed, 3D Printed, and sold by me! Please check it out and let me know what you think, it's got a location for a breadboard, spot for the arduino uno and a storage compartment for small electronic components!

http://etsy.me/1hP97fi

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

That is seriously cute.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

View Profile

That is seriously cute.
______
Rob

thanks!

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

So with newer Arduinos that have smaller USB connectors, they are still accessible through the hole I guess.

What's the target market, students? It would make a convenient single box to hold most of the trinkets a beginner needs to experiment I think.

Any chance of a less chaotic storage box, maybe one with compartments for LEDs, resistors etc. Or maybe there's an off-the-shelf box that will fit inside that one.

_______
Rob

Alamos, Sonora, Mexico
learning never stops.
View Profile

That is really a good little box.

I'd recommend a few dividers inside the box, just to gather like things together....
An eggcrate like insert.... but nothing straight forward like a tic/tac/toe diagram... rather something with a few variably sized comparments.

I'd be curious to see a foto of the rear. You a bit of space behind the uno, what's that used for?
I asked, becuase I just saw a KickStarter or Indigogo campaign that featured a watch sized oscilloscope and voltmeter.
the core unit could fit in that space.... just an idea for future 'plug-in' options.
(it uses an Xmega 8bit processor its here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/920064946/oscilloscope-watch?ref=live

I really like the idea that someone can start prototyping without unpacking very much stuff or have primary components (ie. UNO and Breadboard) loose. Rather they  can be left in place and used.
Peter
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:39:11 pm by ODwyerPW » Logged

Quiero una vida simple en Mexico...nada mas.

Alamos, Sonora, Mexico
learning never stops.
View Profile

Honestly, you ought to try a kickstart campaign to generate sales.
Peter

Quiero una vida simple en Mexico...nada mas.

View Profile

Thanks for the responses guys! There is space behind the arduino because the whole enclosure fits the box which goes a bit deeper than the arduino. I may open that space up in a future design to avcomodate for other items not sure yet tho. Also I would like to kick start this although I do 3d print them out myself and the main body of the enclosure is a LONG print. I would have to probably look into some small scale mass production of this enclosure if I was to kick start, although my time dedicated to this is very limited as I am in my senior year of electronics engineering (woot woot!) smiley-kitty

View Profile

here's a couple pics from the first order I just completed! dont have any extra breadboard lying around, so they're pictured without breadboard.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:09:56 pm by TenKOhms » Logged

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Nice, but doesn't the storage box fall out smiley

______
Rob

View Profile

Nice, but doesn't the storage box fall out smiley

______
Rob

it's a good fit, but not tight by any means. if it's held with the opening facing downward, the storage container will slide out. I usually keep it in my backpack with the opening facing up and havent; found it to be a big issue. Some tape across the opening would definitely prevent it from comin out!

View Profile

quick bump!

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

you may also sell this via shapeways.
They print and you get a price for delivering the 3D print design.
Best regards
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

View Profile

you may also sell this via shapeways.
They print and you get a price for delivering the 3D print design.
Best regards
Jantje

Hi, I was thinking of selling via shapeways, I love their printers, but I wanted to be able to sell it at the lowest cost to customer, so I figured it would be best to just print and sell it myself. Thanks for the suggestion tho, I may end up seeing how much it would cost to get it printed by them for customer

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

It is cute; it has a certain elegance of form I've not seen in other Arduino boxes.  Ordered!
You should look into ways of getting the manufactured "for real."  Charging $17 for a piece that takes all day to print isn't going to generate much income.  (OTOH, I appreciate the desire not to become an expert in getting Other People to build your stuff, which is a separate skill from designing/building.  Maybe one of the other vendors will license your design?)

View Profile

It is cute; it has a certain elegance of form I've not seen in other Arduino boxes.  Ordered!
You should look into ways of getting the manufactured "for real."  Charging $17 for a piece that takes all day to print isn't going to generate much income.  (OTOH, I appreciate the desire not to become an expert in getting Other People to build your stuff, which is a separate skill from designing/building.  Maybe one of the other vendors will license your design?)

Thanks for the order! Printing, the main body of the enclosure itself is a 10.5 hour print alone! This is quite a long print, but after the print job is started, I don't have to babysit it, so it's not really taking up my dedicated time per se. Usually I would mess around printing random useless trinkets or figurines here and there, so finally putting the 3d printer to work and making a few bucks here and there is a welcome sight!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: