Go Down

Topic: Recommendation for sensor to use to detect human proximity - ultrasonic or IR ? (Read 778 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi fellow Arduino hackers,

I have a project in mind for which I need some guidance. My project is to create a LED heart that shows an 'beating' animation where the animation would get faster and faster as a person approaches it. And it would get slower and slower as a person goes farther and farther away. After a certain critical distance, the heart would drop to it's natural beat (which I can program to be 72 beats per minute).

Example: Beyond 5 feet, I want it to beat at a constant rate of 72 beats per minute. Within 5 feet I want the beating to get faster if I (of my girlfriend) approach it and slower if I (or my girlfriend) go away from it.

(Yes you guessed it right, this is for my girlfriend as a Valentine's day present :)  )

I will be using this heart LED kit from: http://jimmieprodgers.com/kits/openheart/

But my main question is regarding the sensor. I want a sensor which would meet the following requirements, in order of decreasing importance.

0. Be not a high drain on power.

1. Be reasonably priced.

2. Be omnidirectional.

3. Be reasonably accurate in measuring the distance. Since I am not using it in a robot for object avoidance, I can tolerate a little bit of inaccuracy.

4. Responds only to human proximity. I don't want it to respond to non-animate objects, like closing doors etc.

I did some googling and I think this sensor meets requirements 1 and 3: http://www.amazon.com/Vivotech-Ultrasonic-Distance-Measuring-Compatible/dp/B0089VA3AY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391214324&sr=8-1&keywords=arduino+distance+sensor
But I am not sure how it will perform with regards to power.

It would still get triggered by doors and non-human objects, right? Plus it would be very directional, am I right? I think I can accept a sensor which will work for non-living objects, because most likely the gift won't be placed next to a moving door. So I am willing to compromise on requirement 4 if it comes to that. But the rest of them (1-3) are pretty darn important.

Can anyone tell me if I can achieve all my goals using a IR sensor or if I can achieve most of my goals using an ultrasonic sensor only?

Thanks in advance,
Ob1

johnwasser

> 0. Be not a high drain on power.
The HC-SRO4 that I have seems to draw about 5 or 6 mA.  I power it from a digital output pin so I can turn it off if necessary.

> 1. Be reasonably priced.
HC-SRO4 ultrasonic distance sensors can be had for under $2 each: http://www.fasttech.com/product/1012007

> 2. Be omnidirectional.
I don't know of any such sensors.  Perhaps you can use a bunch of somewhat directional sensors.

> 3. Be reasonably accurate in measuring the distance. Since I am not using it in a robot for object avoidance, I can tolerate a little bit of inaccuracy.
The ultrasonic sensors are reasonably accurate.

4. Responds only to human proximity. I don't want it to respond to non-animate objects, like closing doors etc.
Good luck with that.  I don't see how you can measure distance to an object only if that object is attached to a human.  If you could tag your girlfriend with a Bluetooth Low Power tag you might get a rough proximity reading.  That option might not be available on Arduino for a reasonable price.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

s-light

check out the [ur=http://www.maxbotix.com/Ultrasonic_Sensors/Rangefinders.html]MaxBotix [/url]things. they are not cheap (about 25Euro) - but excellent in detecting and stable readings - i have used theme for an art installation. if you cam near the object the light goes on - lightlevel was mapped to the distance..

you can also try to use the sharp IR sensors. there are different types for different distances. i also used one of theme - but not for distance meassurement - i used it as 'beam-breaker' they are relative noisy and have an extreme small active area.

for 'only human' i think you can try to combine on of the above with an PIR Sensor
there are some presence sensor that use radar / microwaves.
but they are also expensive..

sunny greetings
stefan

Paul__B

After a certain critical distance, the heart would drop to it's natural beat (which I can program to be 72 beats per minute).

72 bpm is not a normal heart rate for a young fit person in quiet surroundings.   :D

holmes4

According to wiki (?) any where between 60 and a 100! is normal for a any one over 10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse

Mark

holmes4

Beyond 5 feet, I want it to beat at a constant rate of 72 beats per minute

If the heart is an LED you will not see it beat/flash the human eye would see that as a constant brightness. The limits about 10 beats/sec if you want flashes not brightness.

Mark

arbutus

The SRF-04 and similar sensors offer reasonable accuracy at several meters distance, but as you noted they also respond to inanimate object motion. 

I would consider a PIR sensor as a heat related motion sensor combined with the SR or MaxBotix devices. Several may be needed to obtain the correct arc of view.

If you are using multiple ultrasonic sensors with a PIR, I suggest using the PIR with an interrupt (look up ISR - Interrupt Service Routine) to trigger polling each ultrasonic in turn. It is much more energy efficient and reliable than pinging continuously.

I might try something like this for a deer deterrent device.   Please let us know how this project turns out.

:)
Don't breath in the magic smoke!

johnwasser

Beyond 5 feet, I want it to beat at a constant rate of 72 beats per minute

If the heart is an LED you will not see it beat/flash the human eye would see that as a constant brightness. The limits about 10 beats/sec if you want flashes not brightness.

Mark

You're thinking of 72 beats per SECOND.  72 per minute is quite visible.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Paul__B

According to wiki (?) any where between 60 and a 100! is normal for a any one over 10.

Oh well, I stand corrected.  How would I know after all?   :smiley-eek:

I would consider a PIR sensor as a heat related motion sensor combined with the SR or MaxBotix devices.

Actually, just a PIR sounds like a good idea.  It should give more output the closer the person comes.  The fact that it may settle if they stay very still need not be a great problem.

If you are using multiple ultrasonic sensors with a PIR, I suggest using the PIR with an interrupt (look up ISR - Interrupt Service Routine) to trigger polling each ultrasonic in turn.

Interrupts!  Ugh!   :(

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy