Go Down

Topic: Ideal board for imaging processing (Read 495 times) previous topic - next topic

HomuHomu

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, however I was wondering if using an arduino uno would be able to process images from a 640x480 video camera at a decent rate. If it can't, what board can?

mirith

The new Galileo probably can (Though I don't know the support for it yet).  Beyond that, most of the basic Arduino boards can't handle much image processing.  I think a Raspberry Pi could as well.  You need something with at least a few hundred MHz processor and a decent amount of ram to do anything relatively quickly.

HomuHomu

I see, thanks. I know that if I were to use an arduino for this I would have to get more ram to even store the image, but would you know about how much fps I would be getting? I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say not even 1 fps.

pito

Feb 05, 2014, 09:14 pm Last Edit: Feb 05, 2014, 09:16 pm by pito Reason: 1
640x480x2bytes is 614kBytes per frame. When saving that amount on the sdcard it will last for about 2-2.5seconds when the sdcard will be properly formatted (saving into a continuous file).. Mind there is none sram on the chip for storing that amount of data before writing it to the sdcard, however..

mirith

Arduino would be a very poor choice.  You could possibly get it to work with a lot of effort and tricks that I have absolutely no clue how to do, but it would be a poor choice when there are much better options already floating around that are inexpensive.  Start with at least the MEGA2560, if your heart is set on the Arduino, as I think it at least has more ram on it.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy