Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Peltier heater Cooler changing current direction  (Read 246 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
I want to built a pretty simple project with one peltier element where I can regulate the heat/cold with a pwm signal. which is so far pretty easy with one n channel mosfet and a 10k resistor. (http://garagelab.com/profiles/blogs/how-to-use-a-peltier-with-arduino)
I tried it and it worked perfectly.
My problem is I want to be able to change from heating to cooling on the same side.
I found something which looks pretty similar to the thing I want but unfortunatly it's only a picture from fritzing without any explanation or part list. (http://www.arduino-tutorial.de/2010/08/peltier-element/)
has anyone done it before?
and can share a simple schematic.

Faraday Member
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.
View Profile

You might want to use a DPDT relay controlled by the Arduino.
It would reverse the current to the element and is relatively easy to use.

The way you have it in your schematic isn't the same as how you have it wired up!

Germany
just sun
View Profile

I think you can use a 'MotorDriver' IC for this - or build your H-Bridge with discrete components...

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have never used an H-Bridge. can you do pwm with it?
and do you need anything other than the h bridge?

Oregon, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Yes, that is one of their most important functions.
Yes, a power supply and something to control the H-bridge, like an Arduino.

"It seems to run on some form of electricity"

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Also, be sure to get an h-bridge that can handle the current needs of your peltier - for most (probably all?) peltiers, any simple L293 or L298 based h-bridge driver circuits will -not- be able to handle the current needs (even an L298 wired in parallel for 4 amps of output current).

You'll likely need something with 5 or more amps of current output capability (10 amps to be safe). That's not a small h-bridge, but it won't be horrendously expensive to purchase; you might even be able to build one (simplest would be to use a DPDT relay with contacts rated for 10 amps (easy to get).

You likely won't need any diodes on the output of the relay, since a peltier is not an inductive device (it won't hurt if they are already a part of the device, should you purchase the an appropriate h-bridge controller).

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: