Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: arduino and vibrations  (Read 2574 times)
cameroon
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm new to Arduino using. How can I use Arduino to take measure of vibrational characteristics of a beam?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Attach an accelerometer to the beam, and read its outputs.
An example:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10955

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

cameroon
View Profile

thks!
noq i want to plot the data as function of time

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Try sending it to this program on a PC:
http://www.negtronics.com/simplot

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Steph3310,

Or get a data logger shield that records the data you gather from the accelerometer to an sd card.  Then you can just download the data to a spread sheet and analyze it, plot it etc...

Here is such a shield https://www.adafruit.com/products/1141

Good Luck!

cameroon
View Profile

I receive data in m/s^2  but I want to convert this data to displacement....Help pls!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

If I recall,
s = sqrt (1/2 * A * T^2)
(or something pretty close to that - freshman year physics I think, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the next state over)
s = distance, A =acceleration, T = time
You want s, you appear to be getting A, so you just need to know how long the A was applied for.

cameroon
View Profile

ok! but the problem is the time....because I use the code of ADXL3xx in arduino. I also want to know how to change the code to include the time.
I'm very a beginner to programmation

View Profile

I you're just taking the data from your sensor and printing it to the Serial Monitor or passing it to another program, you could get the time the measurement is taken at using the millis() function immediately after you receive the sensor data in your code.

Oregon, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

If the beam is vibrating harmonically at a single frequency, then at some point on the beam the lateral displacement X can be written  as X = C*sin(2*pi*f*t) where f is the frequency in Hz, C is the maximum displacement, t is time in seconds and pi = 3.14159... .

The lateral acceleration A of that point on the beam is then (neglecting sign changes) A = C*(2*pi*f)2 sin(2*pi*f*t) .

So, if you measure the lateral acceleration A as a function of time, you can work backward to get X = A/(2*pi*f)2 as a function of time.

"It seems to run on some form of electricity"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: