Go Down

Topic: Arduino is NO more opensource from Yun (Read 4813 times) previous topic - next topic

Jming

Feb 07, 2014, 01:58 am Last Edit: Feb 07, 2014, 03:50 am by Jming Reason: 1
From the latest product, Yun, Arduino REFUSES providing EAGLE files (including hardware PCB,CAD files and the placement files) on the official website.
Arduino seems to try to become a company selling hardware all for profit.

The promises NO more extends:
"The boards can be built by hand or purchased preassembled; the software can be downloaded for free. The hardware reference designs (CAD files) are available under an open-source license, you are free to adapt them to your needs."

PCWorxLA

If anyone thinks they can build their own Yun from scratch must be seriously out of their mind...

Just my 2c,

Ralf

Jming

why?
learning is from building, not just from books

PCWorxLA

why?
The complexity of a device like the Yun is simply beyond what you can "do it yourself". All learning aside, I could just not see me wasting any time on even trying to source all the parts let alone trying to solder this together, considering that these are mostly SMT parts...

Ralf

Jming

Feb 11, 2014, 10:52 pm Last Edit: Feb 12, 2014, 03:03 am by Jming Reason: 1
What's under the silver cover?

Jming

Feb 11, 2014, 10:52 pm Last Edit: Feb 12, 2014, 03:03 am by Jming Reason: 1

Jming

Feb 11, 2014, 10:53 pm Last Edit: Feb 12, 2014, 03:03 am by Jming Reason: 1

Jming

Feb 11, 2014, 10:59 pm Last Edit: Feb 11, 2014, 11:46 pm by Jming Reason: 1

why?
The complexity of a device like the Yun is simply beyond what you can "do it yourself". All learning aside, I could just not see me wasting any time on even trying to source all the parts let alone trying to solder this together, considering that these are mostly SMT parts...

Ralf

Well, complexity for some~~~,  for others, it's an opportunity to move forward.
I was just curious about what was under the silver cover.
After carefully cutting the two soldering points and taking away the cover, everything just works fine.
No, not fine, it's even better. The average signal strength rises from 52% to 63%.
I really need the answer why arduino wants to hide the information of Yun and change their promised attitude, "opensource".
They use cover, refuse to put the EAGLE(brd or .sch) files in public, and not even release the AR9331 mapping.

PCWorxLA

As for the cover, it's likely for RF shielding purposes, so the device will pass certain restrictions, like with the FCC here in the USofA.
And it is well known what is under the cover, every schematic of the Yun will show that it is the Atheros 9331 and related components.
I for one am interested in using the Yun, not building one. And all that information is readily available...

Ralf

Jming

Feb 16, 2014, 07:47 am Last Edit: Feb 16, 2014, 11:45 am by Jming Reason: 1

As for the cover, it's likely for RF shielding purposes, so the device will pass certain restrictions, like with the FCC here in the USofA.

Then why the official WIFI shield has no such cover?

And it is well known what is under the cover, every schematic of the Yun will show that it is the Atheros 9331 and related components.

Oh, really?    Then     show    me!   Ralf~

These are all we can get from the internet:
http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino-Yun-schematic.pdf     (so called an incomplete schematic)
http://www.dragino.com/downloads/index.php?dir=motherboards/ms14/  (reverse engineering by a Chinese company)
http://linino.org/doku.php?id=wiki:hardware  
http://linino.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=wiki:dogstick-04-linino-a.pdf
(incomplete schematic again if you do see the photo showing what is under the cover)

So?    Show     me      what you called the "related components" with a specific link and a page number.
Where is the Atheros 9331 Mapping and where are the .brd or .sch files which can be "adapted" ?

I for one am interested in using the Yun, not building one. And all that information is readily available...

No one will stop you from moving forward except you like sticking around.

PCWorxLA

Then why the official WIFI shield has no such cover?
Maybe because the chip(s) used on the WiFi shield don't emit unwanted RF emissions?
Where is the Atheros 9331 Mapping and where are the .brd or .sch files which can be "adapted" ?

Again, I am interested in using the Yun, I have neither interest nor time even to try and rebuild one myself.
No one will stop you from moving forward except you like sticking around.
Come again? Please try to understand my statement above...

Ralf

Jming

Feb 17, 2014, 08:06 am Last Edit: Feb 26, 2014, 08:48 pm by Jming Reason: 1

Show me. The "schematic" of your "well known",  "related components under the cover" with a specific link and a page number.

This is a honesty issue of Arduino and their team.

schmurfy

Jming is not wrong on this, while I would certainly not build one by hand having the schematics available could be handy and more than that you cannot claim arduino to be open-source if there now one which is not just by principles.

Whether you would build one by hand or not is completely irrelevant to the discussion, I have not verified but if the schematics and are not available the Yun is indeed not open-source by definition...

Go Up